Flash/Bracket for a Rolleiflex

mia_tramz

<p>Hi all - I just bought a Rolleiflex F and wanted to get a flash for it. The guys at Calumet suggested the Vivtar 285hv and a bracket. Any thoughts? They had a couple bracket options and said that most of them work equally as well. I don't have any experience using a flash and want to make sure I'm making the right choices.</p>

<p>Also - I was looking into soft boxes for diffusion. Is there something less cumbersome?</p>

<p>Thanks so much!!</p>

<p>If Calumet has flash brackets and you have the camera, what better way to get those together than to try them out in the store! However, for a Rollei you will need to buy a Rolleifix first to NOT bend/damage the door when attaching anything to the tripod screw....</p>

<p>So, go back with camera, Rolleifix and see! Make sure you have a synch cord, too. And that the flash sits far enough forward and centered and so that you can see the viewfinder screen! That is all! Be vary of small "softboxes": they don't diffuse enough to be worth a penny. And you might not like to have an "umbrella" right in your chin ... A way to tilt the flash up to bounce off ceilings would be nice. Then the flash needs to be "automatic", though ... to control its own output ...</p>

<p>http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-SHOE-FLASH-BRACKET-GRIP-FOR-ROLLIEFLEX-2-8-3-5_W0QQitemZ230392111648QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item35a470a220#ht_1306wt_754</p>

<p>I use one of these, though I bought it in a regular camera store as a video camera flash bracket for 15 dollars. It works great and I have used the vivitar 285 with it. It makes a good handle and you can put it on the left side and hold the camera and focus at the same time with the left fingers. The problem is that you can't set the camera down on it's feet with the bracket on, you must lie the camera on its back. And as Frank says, the sheet metal on the bottom of the back is soft enough to bend so you must be somewhat careful.<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>Frank gave you the golden tip. Get a Rolleifix to avoid damaging the camera's back. As the Rolleifix is quick detachable you will also appreciate it when putting the flash on or taking it off, much less hassle then unscrewing the assembly from the tripod socket. Funny enough the Rollei pistol grip that incorporates the Rolleifix very often sells for less than just the Rolleifix by itsself. The pistol grip can also be fitted with a bracket to mount a flash.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>Whatever bracket that you look at should be optimised for not only 6x6 format, but one that can accomodate a Waist Level Finder. Don't waste your time, and rule out looking at brackets that tilt and flip, because you'll be paying for features that you will not use.<br>

In all my years using Rolleis, (over 25), I've settled on what I feel is the best 6x6 Rollei TLR Bracket. I personally think that the Jones J-120 Brackets are the best. They are simple, light and compact. They also will let you attach a Rolleifix (Quick Release Mechanism) to the Bracket Platform (or not), and they won't ever give you trouble. They are also great for Hasselblad, Mamiya RB-RZ etc.<br>

Here is the link, and ask for Tom Pierce. He'll give you great, old-fashioned service as well!<br>

<a href="http://www.veachco.com/j-120.htm">http://www.veachco.com/j-120.htm</a><br>

Brad</p>