Selling jpgs to clients

pam_miller1

<p>I recently shot my first wedding. My client is looking to purchase all the jpg files. I initially told them I would sell them a CD-Rom of the high-resolution jpgs of all my edited proofs. They are now wanting ALL the jpgs I took that day. Has anyone done that? There are photos in there that just didn't turn out and they are unedited. I'd really like to only provide them with the edited proofs on CD but I also want a happy client. Can you please help me and send me your thoughts!?</p>

<p>This is a common problem. There are many previous threads about this topic. Here is one.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00Ujqb">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00Ujqb</a></p>

<p>There are many solutions as there are differing opinions on this subject. There is no standard. So do what you want to do. Either give her all the files, some of the files or none, other than what was in the contract.</p>

<p>If you don't want to give anything but the edited proofs, stick to your guns. Many times, you can show the client examples of the 'rejects', and they will understand why they are rejects.</p>

<p>In the thread above, I gave some suggestions which still apply to your situation.</p>

<p>Without directly referencing the above threads, a short reply is that I've had a couple ask for all my shots. I burned the rejects onto a clearly marked "rejects" CD, separate from the high-res DVD images, and packaged it apart from the DVD. They were purposely low res files to discourage reprinting, but available high-res if they found any they wanted and asked me for.</p>

<p>Personally, I don't like going into weddings knowing I'll be giving the couple all of my images. I have an unconscious limiter switch that flips on and makes me pull back on iffy shots... You know, the shots that could be either jaw-dropping gorgeous or just look like total cr@p, depending on a million factors.</p>

<p>Very simple - your contract should state that you will deliver only down-selected, edited jpegs and definitely not all of them. No way will I hand out any images I am not personally happy with. This way there are no ambiguities and if they do ask for all the images, politely refer them to the contract and decline the request. I wouldn't budge on this.</p>

<p>My contract states that I will not deliver every exposure I make, and that the client agrees to abide by my editing decisions. Before the wedding I explain that both I and the subjects will make mistakes, and that some of my shots will be tests, experiments, and preliminary sketches. </p>

<p>An interesting thing I've noticed is that if I inform the client of policies like this before we sign the contract they rarely question me on it, and it's not an issue. The problem occurs when it's not discussed, and the client begins making assumptions. Once they've got it in their head that they are getting something it's much harder to deny them. Before the contract is signed make sure the client understands exactly what you will be delivering.</p>

<p> </p>

<p ><strong ><em > "My client is looking to purchase all the jpg files. I initially told them I would sell them a CD-Rom of the high-resolution jpgs of all my edited proofs."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >In the first thread Nadine linked, I suggested to the OP to give the files to the client and move on and learn from the mistake of not clearly having what was for sale defined prior to the event. Your case seems to be different. As you have told them what to expect, then I suggest initially sticking to what you told them.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >It is a good idea to show them an example of a "mistake". I would show a few mistakes but pair each mistake with their "good one" for comparison - like the shot with the Groom's eyes closed and then the next one, same framing which is OK.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >But, if push comes to shove, then I think you might need to be flexible and how flexible you are depends a lot on you having what was for sale detailed in writing - <strong><em>do you have contract signed by the client clearly stating what is for sale? </em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Unfortunately, my contract states that the client can purchase the digital files. It does not differentiate that the intention was the edited digital files presented to client as proofs. I think I'm going to at least give her my thoughts on why my intention was only edited proofs and tell her I'd prefer not to offer the other photos taken. If she pushes back, it sounds like I'll need it give in and chalk it up as a learning experience. However, I am going to look into getting rid of the bad ones - and renaming the files. Is there any easy way to do that? I use photoshop 7.0 for editing. Thank you all very much for your help!</p>

<p>I offer the digital negatives on CDs to my wedding clients, which are all unedited. But of course I delete the ones I think are no good, and my clients know this. And the reason i give them unedited is so that they can see the difference from those and the actual edited prints they get. That way they will want to order more prints. Plus, I don't really have the time to edit about 1000 images per wedding.</p>