Official thread for Pentax contest entries...

joshroot

<p>My Pentax cameras and lenses have changed me somehow over these many years, so that we just go together. I feel a stirring when I hold or even just LOOK at a Pentax that doesn't happen when I hold one of the other brands - Oh, the others are fine tools, one mature, competent and dignified, another adolescent, loud and brassy. Yet for all their utility, they are without passion. </p>

<p>A Pentax feels . . . right.</p>

<p>If I may use an analogy:</p>

<p>I fly fish with a signed-by-the-maker, 1965 cane-strip rod, a 1984 smooth action graphite rod and a 2007 high-modulus boron/graphite rod, all hand-crafted or hand-finished by employees of the same, small company, each for its specific use. They have their own personalities and - new from their canvas bags - had an interesting, raw spirit, a distinct casting feel and specific presentation of the fly, yet a discernible common element, unique to the brand. Though obviously of different eras and technologies, they are clearly of the same tradition and heritage.</p>

<p>As I have fished these rods they have changed me, infected me with their spirits and mine has altered and mellowed theirs, so that they have more life as MY rods than just AS rods. We have fished together for so long that we have a bonded soul - we know and anticipate each other so that the fly lands where my eyes tell it to, not where my arm guides it. The mere act of the cast has become the object of fishing; catching fish is just personal scorekeeping.</p>

<p>So have my five Pentax cameras become part of my hands. Spotmatic F, KX, K2DMD, MESuper, K10D, they come to me naturally now, without thought, without intent, with a purposeful bond. Each has its calling today, each from its own era with its quirky challenges and pleasures, but each has that Pentax Heritage - the common Pentax feel. </p>

<p>When I take a camera for a walk, just holding a Pentax and taking the picture is the object; the image is just a self-measure of progress on my journey as a photographer.</p>

<p> I have been using Pentax gear for about 30 years now and could not be happier about my decision to buy that first MX camera and lense. This led to buying the Pentax 6x7 and a bunch of lenses and seeing the quality and ease of use with these products cemented my lifelong relationship with Pentax. Having purchased my "first" digital camera last summer, a 200d, and adding digital specific lenses along the way ,I realize now how much photography has meant to me through the years and how each day I look forward to grabbing my gear and getting away from the daily grind and stress to get in some shooting. Thanks Pentax for helping make it possible.</p>

<p>Why Pentax? Why not! i started serious photography in the early sixties,while i was in High School in South Africa.I bought the then latest Pentax H1A(S1A) and a 105mm Takumar lens. Later i added a 58mm Biotar and a 35mm f3.5 Takumar.i wound up doing fashion. The simple cheap Pentax was soon worn out! 20+ rolls an evening.It was not what the camera was built for..The Spotmatic was soon released in South Africa and i bought one of the 1st shipment. It was used by other pros, went to the Olympics where it served a press photographer whose fancy system had jammed.Hudreds of rolls went thru it in a few weeks..After almost 20 years it needed retirement.i had added more lenses over the years. The Pentax lenses were simply perfect. The metering way superior to the Nikons, Leicas and Canons that i also used. i still use my Pentax K1000, the Me-Super,MG and recently found a good condition Spotmatic with 50mm f1.4 lens.All my Pentax lenses are wonderful and have given me perfect service. The only fault they can be fragile..on the helicoids. My Leica is no different! When i went on a long extended trip to USA, California esp,i took my Pentaxes and an old Leica M3. I knew the Pentax metering was always good. So iguess when it came to Digital that was the way.. i however was doing stuff for the internet. i saw no point 5 years ago to go for a DSLR! i purchased an Optio with 3,5MP. More than sufficient for web designs and needs. i made 8x12 ins prints on a trip to South Africa. Living now in Canada, the weather something else for many months, the Pentaxes as reliable as always. I did own "Fat Albert" the Pentax 6x7 but it was too heavy for me. After 20 yrs i traded the 6x7system in LA for a Leica M6, at Samys.</p>

<p>Ok, My 2 cents...Just to be clear, Take note that I do not love my Pentax gear or any other gear for that matter...There are few things in life that I truly Love and all are breathing and very much alive. :)...Having said, I really like my Pentax gear for the following reasons...While I do not have the pedagree than many posters here do with decades of experience, I do have a solid 3 years or so..Yes, I am still very much a newbie and still shoot Jpegs :) I am not a technical guru when it comes to photography, I only know the very basics and keep it simple..I am not one to spend valuable shooting time behind a computer post processing pictures..Why, when I could be out using that time to do something I really enjoy?...Shooting.. :)...</p>

<p>Hence Pentax..Being the owner of a dozen or so Pentax SLR's and 5 Pentax DSLR's, A G9, G10, D700 and whole buch of other cams, the Jpegs that I get from my Pentax gear is simply the best I have seen in my opinion. Pentax spent a great amount of time in producing a camera that allows me to shoot instead of PP. Sure my other cams produce good Jpegs as well, but not as crisp and well balanced as the Pentax DSLR's...So for me, the image quality is number 1 regardless of what DPR says...I have learned not to trust their reviews so I don't even look at them any more....Pentax is king of the Jpegs in my book....</p>

<p>Now the Lenses...I have really become fond of the the small primes and Ltd's...Not only the ones Pentax makes, but all the ''OLD SCHOOL'' lenses that are out there on E bay and such...It is fantastic to be able to buy quality glass that will rival any modern glass as far as quality goes for 10 cents on the dollar...I just bought a Sigma 24mm F/2.8 prime from a member here for $100.00 that produces some extraordinary pictures and is pretty much always on my K-7 now...My latest buy is a Vivitar 24mmF/2.8 that I paid $35.00 for on ebay that is now on my K20D and looks to to be staying there...For the price of some of these used 40 or 50 year old pentax lenses, it allows me the freedom to experiment. Sure there is junk as well...I went looking for a small prime for my D700 and it does not exist...Good thing though, because I would have to sell a kidney just to be able to buy it if it did exist...No, Pentax hit a home run with their small glass concept....</p>

<p>The last thing is this....While I have many friends here in Los Angeles that have canikon running through their veins, I love showing up with these folks on photo shoots as the only Pentaxian...It is fun to have the smallest set up that attracts the least amount of attention and coming home with the best captures and no need to spend 2 weeks on a photo to make it look right....</p>

<p>OK, One last, last thing....It seems to me that most Pentax users are the friendliest bunch..Always willing to share and help out..Sure there are some idiots as well but most are very kind....</p>

<p>Anyway, Sorry I can't say I love my pentax stuff, but it sure loves me as I use it allot!</p>

<p>I read about this contest the same day I received this email from a collegue: "Happy birthday, you old fart!". Normally, I would have missed the implications in his greeting and enjoyed only the humour. However, I began thinking how what he wrote might be translated into photographic equipment terms and decided it would come out something like this: "Happy birthday, you dumb old 'M lens' user!" <br>

So why am I such a photographic luddite? The reason is simply about pure sensuality. Above all, I love the silence. I love the smoothness in the perfectly dampened focus rings. I love the physical feeling of sureness in changing the f stops. I love the sheer volume of photographs I have to take and almost the same number of duds I have to delete. Ya, I like doing things the hard way and feeling my body work.<br>

So why Pentax? Well, when my old HP 517 a friend gave me, seemed to get in my way, I wanted a DSLR that used the same AA batteries and SD cards as the HP, mounted old lenses so I could learn photographic technique in a nuts and bolts way, have image stabilization in the body and, most importantly, have the sensual feel I wanted. Pentax was it by a country mile.</p>

<p>I shoot Pentax because it offers a little bit of sanity in the face of my madness.<br>

I am a travel junkie...the kind of person who is planning his next trip on the plane coming back from (yes, sometimes even going to --) his current trip. I find I never get to travel enough...I start itching to leave the first week I'm back home...I met my wife travelling as a baseball coach in the Netherlands...we were married in Yosemite Valley, and have been to 25 other National Parks since (and 12 MLB ballparks) kayak.com is my home page...it goes on and on.<br>

All of this leads to a sickness to find the perfect, highest-quality, most cost-effective, most efficient you-name-it when it comes to travelling. I can sniff out airline deals like a travel agent (I think)...my wife works for a hotel chain and we get to stay for incredible prices in any of them around the world...I went on internet quests to find both the ideal travel wardrobe and shoes...I buy used travel guides, never new...I didn't like wasting time waiting for my bags on the carousel, so we don't check bags anymore...it goes on and on...quite honestly, I got into photography because of travel, and it only added to my madness.<br>

So it goes to reason that my camera would be a part of this quest...I went to Peru, Cuba and the UK nine years ago with a Fuji P+S film camera. When I went to the Netherlands and it died, I bought a Konica-Minolta G400...after a few months, I really wasn't happy with the zoom range or image quality. I bought a Panasonic FZ7...after taking it to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs and having photos printed, I still wasn't happy with image quality or level of manual control -- it was DSLR time. <br>

Since I use the internet for most of my purchases and pricing, I didn't go to Best Buy or a camera shop to research the cameras, so I had no idea Canon and Nikon were the big two. When I started to research, the K10D seemed to have what I needed in a package: 1) value for money; 2) weather-sealing for travel; 3) compact lenses for travel, which I couldn't afford yet. I bought it, I loved it, but...<br>

I went through too many lens changes to count to find the perfect travel lens kit, and in the process acquired the DA 21/35/70 Ltd. trio. But I finally felt that the K10D was a bit too big. I would keep it, but wanted something smaller to have with me all of the time...enter the Panasonic LX3. Nice little camera, but I always felt guilty when my beautiful Limiteds looked forlornly at me as I took the LX3 out to play. I asked myself, "How can I use this when I have such PERFECT lenses just sitting there?" I sold the LX3 and bought the K-m (it was compact, AND I could use my Ltds!). And then the K-7 was announced...the camera I had been waiting for. The best of the K10D and K-m put together, and more!!! I sold the Brothers K and pre-ordered the K-7...and it is perfect for travel. I just took it to Italy with the 21/35/70 amigos, and it was a flawless setup. For me, Pentax is the IDEAL combo of everything I want in a travel photography kit, and I'm not even remotely interested in anything else...it's my small slice of serenity in my travel insanity.<br>

Of course, now I need the perfect bag...the perfect portable backup...the perfect lens case...the perfect...oh, dear.</p>

<p>I started out with a Pentax SLR over 20 years ago. I chose Pentax then because they were top quality and still are today. Over the years I have purchased many Pentax bodies and lenses. I have looked at other systems as new features were introduced to SLR cameras over the years (auto wind, auto focus, digital etc). A always decided to stay with Pentax because I feel that Pentax concentrated on the basics. The things that really mattered and not the bells and whistles that I would never need or use. For instance I bought a ZX-5 just because it had an easy and fast shutter speed DIAL, not some silly combination of buttons to push. Pentax didn’t abandon logic or build quality (weather resistant bodies) when they went digital so I bought a digital SLR from them as well.<br>

I know that if I buy a new Pentax equipment it will not be obsolete in a few years. Pentax bends over backward to insure compatibility with their old equipment (think shake reduction). I really love the fact that as I added new lenses and bodies I could use any items I owned in any combination. I have may Pentax items that are almost 40 years old and they work like new. Pentax equipment can be a lifetime purchase. Minolta, Canon, Olympus, etc owners can’t say that.</p>

<p>This may sound odd, but I love my Pentax K10D because it fits my hand so well.<br>

I looked closely at Pentax when it was time to switch over to digital because I already had a small collection of Pentax lenses I liked. So when Pentax made a digital with decent specs that ALSO knew how to use all the old lenses, I started backing away from Canon & Nikon, worrying that doing so would wind up a big mistake. But I fell in love when I picked up the camera.<br>

All the buttons fell right under my fingers. It took no time at all to remember which switch did what. I didn't have to squirm about trying to get my eye to line up with the viewfinder. <strong>It</strong> . <strong>Felt</strong> . <strong>Perfect</strong> . <strong>Immediately</strong> .<br>

After that, all the o-rings that keep out the dust and the water, and the internal shake reduction, and the ability to process RAW files into JPEGs without having to boot up a computer were just gravy. Thanks for the interesting contest!</p>

<p>Pentax uber alles because when you hold it you know that somebody who designed it must have been a photographer himself. Fantastic ergonomy and all necessary features are there whenever I need them. I like the feeling that Pentax spends more time and money to make the cameras better rather than advertising their products. My K10D is very well crafted, robust, weather and dust protected. I read that this model had been sent to the orbit (well, almost :-D) and returned safely, with no damage, so I know I can take it anywhere and anytime.<br>

It has all functions I need, the selection of lenses is great, ergonomy is brilliant, it is beautifully crafted and very reliable and comparing to other brands it was very, very cheap.<br>

I just can't imagine swapping Pentax to any other brand, simple as that.</p>

<p>Way back in 1983 I was looking at a friends' photo album and I was struck by how professional the pictures looked. I asked what kind of camera took those pictures. She said a Pentax K1000. That was it. I went to the camera store in the small city where I live and put one on layaway. I added some accessories such as flash, tripod, extra lenses, cable release, etc. The quality was good AND affordable. I still have this camera and I still use it. It has given me 26 years of faithful, problem free service. <br>

When it was time to purchase a digital SLR, the choice was easy-a Pentax which I have found to be excellent in quality at an affordable price. The first DA Ltd lens I bought was the 35mm with macro capability. It's my all around lens. The clarity and color in the images it produces is breath taking. I just can't get over how gorgeous the shots are. The second Ltd lens I bought was the 15mm. I have not used it a lot but it takes takes gorgeous shots. <br>

Photography is such a big part of my life and Pentax plays an important role in it. My Pentax cameras are like a trusted friend that I can count to be there to record the important events or times in my life. My loyalty has not and will not waver. I am a Pentaxian!</p>

<p>My first SLR was a Russian-made Zenit. I suspect the thing had been designed by the same engineer who designed (between others) the T34 Tank, the Molotov trucks, and a lot of things that were supposed, in word, to work, whatever the conditions.<br /> <br /> One day, I dropped it from a rock I was climbing. I climbed down, picked the camera, and tried it. Clic. It worked. From that day, I stopped being worried about my camera, and it was... well relaxing.<br /> <br /> One other day, I wanted to buy a DSLR. And some objectives. But I was on a budget.<br /> <br /> And Zenit didn't have anything to offer. :)<br /> <br /> I remembered the days of insouciance, and decided I wanted a camera that would, in one word, work, whatever the conditions. And when you are on a budget, the search is short, specially if your search terms look like : «solid, cheap, with a nice look».<br /> <br /> I decided it had to be the K10D. Solid built, weather-proof. And it was (well, relatively) cheap. <br /> <br /> Now, the very first objective I decided to buy, just after I saw it for the first time, was the DA 40mm Limited. This was not a rational decision, but a I'm-in-love-will-you-marry-me type of decision. I saw a picture from this objective (on the internet), and I just had to have it.<br /> <br /> This was nearly three years earlier.<br /> <br /> My «working horse» has been one of the DA*. For two years, I left home with my DA* 50-135mm, and then replaced with the DA* 60-250mm.<br /> <br /> But I also carry some Limiteds. I now own the DA 40, the DA 35, and the DA 15 Limited. They never disappoint me. The pictures they give me are just fantastic.<br /> <br /> And you know what ? They even *feel* like a Zenit. Rock-solid. But a Zenit with a look.<br /> <br /> I get looks from other photographers, when I carry my K20D, with the grip (I wouldn't get out without it...) and the DA 40mm. But they don't questions. They look a lot, and I guess they feel, or instinctively know how serious my gear is.<br /> <br /> As I live in Germany, the website of Pentax I usually visit is the European one. Only lately did I look at the USA site. It has some kind of title, at the top.<br /> <br /> It says : Be Interesting...</p>

<p>My journey with Pentax in 1968. After trying to shoot slide film with my fathers aging Kodak, I bought a SLR - Pentax Spotmatic and it started my real photographic interest.</p>

<p>Over the next few years, I added 5 other lenses - 28 f3.5, 35 f3.5, 35 f2, 50 f1.4 and a 85 f1.8 to go with the original 55 f1.8. Plus a darkroom with a Bessler 23 enlarger, tanks, trays and flipper dryers.</p>

<p>In the early 70's I was using this equipment photographing he Utah Stars (in the old ABA) and was published in game programs as well as some national basketball magazines.</p>

<p>Disaster struck in 1973 when all my camera gear was stolen. The theft even included all my 35mm slides. Of course, I had no insurance and I was pressed into getting new equipment for the upcoming season.</p>

<p>Canon was not a factor back then but Nikon was. I had observed the quality of my photos compared to Nikons images uses by the press and other photographers. In fact one photographer from one of he SLC newspapers often inquired about what I used and how I got the results I did.</p>

<p>In those days, Pentax glass was tops - out performing other optics from other manufactuers in reviews and tests from the leading photographic magazines of the times. I bough Pentax again!</p>

<p>That Spotmatic lasted me until I got the urge to buy a AF camera and purchased a SF1n and later a PZ1. Still, when it was about landscape photography, I still reached for the Spotmatic.</p>

<p>I withheld from going digital until I purchased my K10 with a 16-45 f4 zoom. I was initially quite happy with it but later found that I preferred primes and started using a SMC Pentax 28mm f3.5 as my standard lens (quite excellent lens by the way).</p>

<p>The K20 came along - as did retirement - so I bought again (keeping the K10). This time, I bought new lenses at the time I bought the camera. These included the 21, 35 f2, 50 f2.8 macro and the 70 (I may add either the 14 or 15 soon). Just like 40 and 35 years ago, I knew where I needed to spend my money.</p>

<p>Am I happy - yep - just as happy as I was and still am with my old Spotmatic.</p>

<p>In this Canikon era, the phase, "why not be different" certainly applies to me.</p>

<p>My dad had one, a SFxn with a 35-80 SMC-F and a 70-210 SMC-F. I wasn't really interested, just snapped away if I needed pics for varsity... all looked fine - even though I knew nothing.<br>

When starting my own company, I got a p&s for fieldwork, that got taken along with the other gadgets a gps and a PDA. Insurance time came around and my SO, now wife said, you need the GPS, you really enjoyed the camera, the PDA was a cool pain in the butt cause it never lived up to the promise. How about getting a nice camera? I went to the (you call them mom and pop style) store and picked them up, the K100D just felt solid, think I held a Canon 350D and some or other Nikon. I picked the Pentax, because it felt right from the beginning, not sure why I believed I had a notion as to what right might be, but being a fairly intuitive person, I've learnt to just trust my gut.<br>

Well in two to three years I've gone from happy snapper to dedicated photographer, the camera is just always there, fieldwork, holiday, when I pick up my wife from work, birthdays, weddings, baptisms, namings, housewarmings, work avoidance behaviour in the veggie patch. It'll be there when our first child is born next year, it might even get used, although I suspect I might not, but it'll be good to know my Pentax is there.</p>

<p><!--StartFragment-->

<p >I grew up with my father wielding a p30 and a 50mm f1.7 in my face; to this day, he still shoots this setup and has many box files filled with prints and negatives to show for his efforts. Something must have clicked.</p>

<p >When I turned 21 a couple of years ago, asking for one of his bodies and lenses seemed like a natural enough request, and my relationship with Pentax has since flourished into a prosperous one. I later bought an MX so that I could push and pull film and be without batteries. I have yet to look back: the finder is incomparable and the simplicity of the controls suits me beautifully. This camera is ten years older than I am, it is dented and brassed and it has yet to miss a beat.</p>

<p >I’ve since learnt that all I need besides myself is natural light, brass, fast glass and some silver. To this end, Pentax have proven themselves beyond compare.</p>

<!--EndFragment--></p>

<p>Simply put: Pentax and their users tend to care more about the image than others. Canikon and their users tend to care more about the latest gear than creating great images; you can see this in the users in forums and in workshops I've attended where I'm the only "rebel" user running Pentax gear. When you use a Pentax prime lens, it has something in contrast and rendition that you don't mind doing extra footwork for to get that great shot. When you process your images and compare them w/ those Canikon users who say they spent 3x more to get images that are close to what you get out of a prime, you know you've made the right decision ;-)</p>

<p>It has been a short and joyful journey ever since I upgraded from a point and shoot camera to Pentax K100D in the year of 2007, and subsequently I got K10D, and now K20D. With Pentax system, I also get obsessed with film gear in trying out the oldie cameras as in Spotomatic, ME Super, SuperProgram, PZ-1 and now Pentax 645N. The terms in Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) and Camera Buying Addiction (CBA) are exclusively live and pandemic in the Pentaxian community.</p>

<p>I chose Pentax for few simple reasons:</p>

<ul>

<li>Best ergonomics</li>

<li>Best value</li>

<li>Backward compatibility</li>

<li>Best community in Pentax Users</li>

<li>Best in History as evidenced in Herbert Kepler</li>

</ul>

<p>When I jumped from a simple point and shoot with Fuji F30, I asked myself the very question that I ask myself daily -- do you want to be just like others? And I chose to be different and be interesting with my dSLR journey. And the choice was clear in selecting Pentax K100D as it was the best at the time for an entry level camera with Shake Reduction (SR) built into the digital bodies. Every freaking inexpensive lens that I bought, be it an old m42 lens or a third party Sigma, Tamron, Tokina or the like, I will have the SR feature at my disposal to capture the special moment without worrying about the VR or IS labels on the lens.<br /> <br /> It is always tempting to see what is offered in other systems but what kept me a loyalist in Pentax is the great offering in prime lenses that are small, lightweight and excellent in image quality. With the advance of newer Pentax bodies, I see great success in the making.<br /> <br /> I pride myself and the blogs that I author and I ask my readers to ponder the very question if they like to be different and unique in their choices to capture their souls in their photography</p>

<p>P.S. Extra Pictures and Video are added in my post in Hin's Tech Corner.</p>

<p ><strong>'Pentax' (to the tune of ‘Squeeze Box’ by <em>The Who</em>) </strong></p>

<p >

<p >Mama's got a Pentax,<br />She wears on her chest.<br />And when Daddy comes home,<br />He never gets no rest.<br /><br />'Cause she's shootin’ all night,<br />And the picture’s all right.<br />Mama's got a Pentax,<br />Daddy never sleeps at night.<br /><br />Her gear is not too expensive,<br />So the kids still eat.<br />She’s got the best bag of primes,<br />Down the whole dang street!<br /><br />'Cause she's shootin’ all night,<br />And the price tag’s all right.<br />Mama's got a Pentax,<br />Daddy never sleeps at night.<br /><br />She zooms in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out,<br /><br />Cause' she's shootin’ all night,<br />Her DA-Star is all right.<br />Mama's got a Pentax,<br />Daddy never sleeps at night.<br /><br />She goes, “Seal me, come on, weather seal me.”<br />“Come on, stabilize my screw mounts too,<br />I'm so in love with you!”<br />Mama's got a Pentax,<br />Daddy never sleeps at night.<br /><br />She zooms in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out,<br /><br />'Cause she's shootin’ all night,<br />That DA-Star zoom’s real tight!<br />Mama's got a Pentax,<br />Daddy never sleeps at night.</p>

</p>

<p>Game, Set, Match. Well done sir.</p>

<p>I suppose that I am one of those who switched over from another brand- I had a nikon film camera and a couple lenses- but the low end nikons wouldn't auto focus with the lenses I had. So I decided to continue playing with what I had, which included an old ME super that (at the time) i didnt use much. I ran into an issue with it, and in the quest to fix it, I ended up here, and read the glowing reports that people were giving for the K10 and k20. I was facinated. 1st, weathersealing- I do/did a lot of hiking and spending time outdoors, so that seemed cool. 2nd, solid construction. I definately didn't like playing with a camera that felt like it was made of glass. 3rd all of these old lenses that just worked? wow. I looked around more, and found these brilliant limited primes that people were raving about, and I was sold. The da 40mm was especially convincing (even though i dont have it yet). Now I have 2 limiteds, and growing collection of old M and A primes, which are a true joy to shoot with. I really appreciate the solid construction of all of the lenses I have bought, and i think that is one best parts of the brand.</p>

<p>I'm ok saying that part of the calculus was stepping away from canikon, but Pentax offered a better product at a better price, even after the price increases. And you get to be interesting.</p>

<p>Like many digital Pentaxians, I too cut my teeth on Pentax film. My mom's bought-for-college K1000 was always lying around, and I used up a lot of film. Having an artist for a mother meant that she was more than willing to let me explore my artistic vision, and foot the bill for countless rolls of useless film. When I heard that the K1000 and it's lenses were sold to buy a point and shoot digital camera, I mourned it's loss. Fast forward 17 years and here I am with a K2000. Though I am ready to upgrade to the K-7 already, the little K2000 makes me happy, and more importantly, I feel like I have come home.</p>