Possibly buying Canon 500mm f/4 L IS used, need info

andrew_espinosa

<p>I've read enough about the lens to know it's well liked, but what I need to know is are there any tell tale signs that this lens has been abused or possibly in need of a specific repair. I've bought used before, but they were small potatoes and generally pretty easy to see if anything was wrong with them.</p>

<p>My worry comes from buying such a big ticket item and if there are any hard to notice problems or idiosyncrasies to this lens that I should be aware of.</p>

<p>Also, any testing I could do while shooting with the lens would be helpful too.</p>

<p>So far what I know about the lens in question is that it's described as barely used, 5 years old, and in mint condition.</p>

<p>Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Well, after looking for obvious damage, make sure it's complete (hood with its screw, rear filter, lens cap, case) as the hood alone can set you back over $500 dollars, not to mention the cost of the hard case... Then check all switches, make sure that IS works (handhold @ 1/200s, the picture with IS should be sharper) see if the focus limiter and manual focus work. Check the focus preset switch (in both tone and silent setting), focus on an object, defocus the lens and then touch the focus preset ring; the lens should focus on the same spot immediately. Then of course put it on a sturdy tripod and run focus tests in both AF and MF (helps if your camera has LiveView.) Listen for unwanted sounds wheil IS and AF are on (a "clunk" when IS engages is fine and so is the "whirl" while IS works.) See if the lens collar/foot rotates freely and locks fully and whether there are any cracks, etc. on the ring itself. <br>

Now, the front element on superteles is easy and cheap to replace so don't fret if it is not pristine (but do negotiate some discount if it is scratched or otherwise damaged and needs replacement.)</p>

<p>I went to buy one just one year ago, but found nothing that was in great condition, so bought new.<br>

If I bought used I would have only done so at BH, KEH, and now that they have changed around to totally favor the buyer, ebay. Pay with Paypal and you have them on your side, believe me!<br>

They don't depreciate much though, unless they are beat. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>With a lens like this, superficial damage to the paint job and exterior barrel is par for the course.</p>

<p>People use them for working with. They get banged around. They are built to handle it.</p>

<p>My general rule, though, is that if a used item is more than 50% or so as expensive as the same item new, I buy the item new.</p>

<p>"My general rule, though, is that if a used item is more than 50% or so as expensive as the same item new, I buy the item new."</p>

<p>With a lens like this forget about 50% unless it is a piece of junk. They tend to be even up to 90%. Some even much more then where new, like 200 f1.8.<br>

I would triple check everything. It isn't pocket change.</p>