Photographing a Wedding for a Photographer...

chimera_h

<p>I've been asked to photograph a wedding for another photographer. I don't know her and haven't seen her work, but she found me online. There are a couple of red flags that make me hesitate....</p>

<p>1. She's a photographer : ). She admitted she is picky (like I would be) and that makes me nervous. She said my style is similar to hers, so that's good. My concern is that she will want to direct the images and to an extent, I always ask brides what they want. I just don't want her telling me <em>how</em> to take the pictures.</p>

<p>2. Her wedding is in December...just 7 weeks away. Why would anyone take this long to get a photographer? I worry that this could be a problem client. She acknowledged that she was late in hiring someone , but wanted to find someone with a good eye (I don't buy that).</p>

<p>She seems open and friendly via email. I'll meet her soon and gage everything from there.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Do you have any reason to think she'll want to take over?</p>

<p>Unless you've met her and have been led to think that, I'd say this is pure conjecture, and therefore nothing you should let influence your thinking. Most photographers getting married have no interest in being involved at the photography stage - that's kind of the whole point in hiring someone.</p>

<p>And there are plenty of reasons why someone might plan a wedding rather late. Again, I see nothing that you should view as a red flag unless you get supporting information.</p>

<p>I also don't think there's anything intrinsically weird about photographing another photographer's wedding. I'm interested that you view that as a red flag. For me, that would be a green flag; as you'd be dealing with a client who knows enough to make intelligent choices, who understands the product and the process, who knows how to find their photographer of choice perfectly easily, and who has chosen to work with you. Frankly, from an expectation and client management perspective, that's an ideal client.</p>

<p>I can only see it being a problem if you doubt your ability to meet expectations. But only you know the answer to that.</p>

<p> </p>

I don't imagine that the delayin hiring a photographer this late in the wedding planning is anythng to get too alarmed

about. Perhaps you could take it as a compliment that, after a long search, someone with high standards finally found

someone who's vision they trust to do the job correctly so they DON'T have to think about it. Someone getting married has

enough on his/her mind.

That said, I don't think it's terribly uncommon to find onesself a little apprehensive being around another photographer in

any situation. Perhaps it's just simply feeling like your methods are being judged; like the person is second guessing every

turn of the focus ring. While I certainly know where your concern is coming from, without knowing much else about the

situation, it would be safest to assume that it's JUST that; a feeling. I don't know too many people who are thinking about

work while they're getting married. It jus so happens that in this case "work" is photography.

If you're experienced, and the person hiring you liked what they saw, then just try to treat it as another gig. Maybe say to

yourself "she's an accountant, she's an accountant..." if you get nervous. The truth is, if you let these apprehensions get in

the way, you stand a better chance of making "nervous mistakes." just remember that you obviously were able to

demonstrate something that this particular client liked, and don't let the bad thoght take over. I think you'll be fine.

<p>It is too soon to make a judgement. The issues you mention could be red flags, or they could be totally without issue. However, if I got an e-mail like that I would suspect, and keep in the back of my mind, that she isn't really a professional photographer or is a beginner or starting out, and is cost conscious--hence the compliments. Well established photographers know other well established photographers, so they don't need to go looking for a wedding photographer outside their circle.</p>

<p>I would give a big benefit of the doubt until I could meet and talk, though.</p>

<p>Like you, I wonder why on earth the photography wasn't the first or second thing booked. That's my only red flag. You should meet her before the wedidng, definitely. Discuss things. I wasn't yet a wedding photographer when I got married, but I was well on my way mentally. I had to let go. I didn't take one picture the whole day. You're sooooo busy with other considerations that you just can't micromanage the hire-ee. You will observe, but not crazily, I would imagine. Have a sit-down and be sure you're on the same page, though.</p>

<p>I got red flags from a photographer couple that hired me two weeks before their wedding. I went ahead with it and on the day they were wonderful to work with. They knew how to pose themselves and we worked really fast and got great pics. The only down side was that they wouldn't sign the model release and wanted the RAWS after the fact. :(</p>

<p >I have photographed two Photographer's Weddings: both knew me, professionally - and that is how the arrangement was made. Which follows Nadine’s comment – most Professionals of some standing; work and know folk, within there own circles – usually geography dictates those relationships.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >One was quite insistent about the shots he wanted - that was fine - we planned them together: the locations and the times and the ceremony was back-timed to suit that location shoot - it was a gas and developed into a "Wedding Breakfast in the Park" Occasion. But apart from the initial list of what was required – the “how to do it” was totally my call. The other Wedding the Bride approached me and she was quite laid back and just said: "Bill just do your thing".</p>

<p > </p>

<p >So in both situations the Clients were more involved in their occasion not in any way wanting to direct me, during the day. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p >On the other hand I have had quite a few Clients (I guess about 10 or more, maybe) who, at the initial meeting made it a point to tell me that they were “Professional Photographers” – my feeling was that would apply pressure and gain them some advantage or leverage.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >All of these clients came to me NOT by referral, but maybe because of some promotional function we ran, or were just “walk-ins”.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I assume that your business is mainly web based, therefore email or telephone, is how most of your clients make initial contact, so, I agree with Neil, there is no intrinsic “Red Flag” just because the woman mentioned she is a Professional Photographer – what is more important is how she conducts herself at a face to face meeting.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on the Wedding being 7 weeks away and no Photographer yet commissioned - without knowing more information – she might have been wowed off her feet and only said “Yes” a few days ago – who knows? </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I do suggest that if you (as a Woman Wedding Photographer) show any sensitivities toward this client at that meeting then it is likely she (if she is a Wedding Photographer) will zoom in on that wavelength . . . in my experience Women Wedding Photographers are generally more innately gifted at picking up on nuances - so in this regard I suggest you just deal in facts and simple plain talk and work out if there is a fit, or not - based on: facts; client's requirements and your product.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I guess I'm thinking that I would probably be very particular if I were hiring a photographer for my wedding. I would know exactly how I want things to be and would have a hard time holding back with directing. She's emailed a couple more times and I'm getting more of an idea as to what she's like, etc. </p>

<p>We'lll see after the meeting.</p>

<p>Chimera,</p>

<p><em>1. She's a photographer : ). She admitted she is picky (like I would be) and that makes me nervous. She said my style is similar to hers, so that's good. My concern is that she will want to direct the images and to an extent, I always ask brides what they want. I just don't want her telling me <em>how</em> to take the pictures.</em><br>

- You are being hired for your job that is something people have to understand when they sign the contract, be professional and yet sympathetic when signing the contract but do emphasize that <strong>you</strong> are being hired for your skill, NOT HERS.<br>

<em>2. Her wedding is in December...just 7 weeks away. Why would anyone take this long to get a photographer? I worry that this could be a problem client. She acknowledged that she was late in hiring someone , but wanted to find someone with a good eye (I don't buy that).</em><br>

- You should by that. Ever wondered why many dentists have bed teeth or why doctors don't like to go to doctors? Same idea is here - a photographer hiring another photographer. One thing you <strong>should</strong> keep in mind is that she <em>ought i </em> to have colleagues now why doesn't she use them?</p>

<p>With that in mind, treat her as <em><strong>ANY OTHER WEDDING</strong> </em> YOU'VE DONE. Be prepared for whole world to brake loose thus keep a stick of gum in your mouth (stimulates parasymp NS -> will keep you relaxed), utilize any advantage in getting an <em>extra</em> pose and put a bit more time in post processing.<br>

oh and remember - <em><strong>SHE CAME TO YOU!!!</strong> </em> :)</p>

<p><em> "She's a photographer : ). She admitted she is picky (like I would be) and that makes me nervous. She said my style is similar to hers, so that's good. My concern is that she will want to direct the images and to an extent, I always ask brides what they want. I just don't want her telling me how to take the pictures."</em><br>

<em></em><br>

I've followed several of your posts and to be bluntly honest, what concerns me is your lack of experience/knowledge in photographing weddings. As long as you are being upfront with your limited experience and showing her a couple of full weddings that you've done to represent what she should expect from you, then you're good to go. Good luck.</p>