8x10 camera

jonnymiller

<p>Hi guys,<br>

Quick question,<br>

Im a student studying photography and i want to re create a series of photos using a 8x10 camera. The only problem is that 8x10 cameras are slightly more expensive than i was hoping for,is there anything i could use that doesn't bare the brunt on my wallet? The photos i'll be constructing are of ghostly figures, so using a long exposure whilst capturing the tiniest of details in the background would be crucial... thus thinking of the 8x10. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Jonny</p>

<p>The problem is that only you know what you intend to do and what needs to be captured. Most of the time newer folks over think things. A 4x5 could be a good alternative as would a nice medium format camera with fine resolution film. I have a shot of a landscape, from the air, shot with a 645 format camera, wide angle lens on 400 speed film where you can see the fence posts and barbed wire at 100%--its grainy, but the detail is there--equivalent of a 10 foot wide print.</p>

<p>Unless you are going really big in a print, a smaller format would likely do the trick for you. But it wont have the panache of an 8x10!</p>

<p>Thanks for the response john,<br>

Thats the thing....it probably is the panache that im looking for. I'll be developing the images myself so i can play around abit. I guess ill hunt around for a medium format that would do the trick or maybe look at a 5x4</p>

<p>Unless you are very comfortable and experienced at this point with the movements and operation of an LF camera, your goal may be more attainable (and less costly) with an MF camera.</p>

<p>Depends also upon the future uses you might have, but specifically on how small the in focus background details are in your ghost images (foreground?) project and (in relation to this) how big an enlargement you need to make.</p>

<p>One possibiity might be a 2 1/4 square twin lens reflex and high definition film (Rollei 25 ISO or Ilford Pan F) that would allow you easy image visualisation possibilities, greater depth of field and an operation that might be compatible with your pre-determined image constructions. My Autocord also has multiple exposure capability that might be useful in your work (I bought a very clean example for a project last year, but changed the approach and haven't used it - if my wife new this, I would be in deep trouble!).</p>