Canon 100mm IS Macro: anyone tried this new lens?

desmond_kidman

<p>Desmond, I have both and the image quality is as good (and I think better) with the 100 IS. However, I'm using it on my 7D, so I'm not sure I can give you a fair comparison since I haven't tried it on my other bodies where I've been using the 100 non-IS. The better IQ may just be a function of the 18 Mp of the 7D. The IS truly works well for handheld shots. Wide open my copy is still razor sharp. I have to use a macro frequently for work, so the IS is a blessing for me.</p>

<p>bought it and returned it. Wish i did not sell my old 100mm non-is macro. The pic quality is not any better and is pretty bad when shooting it wide open. The build quality is cheaper than the previous. The IS works well when shooting at a distance but imho useless for macro. The body slightly flexes when squeezed at various spots. you will never be able to tell the difference in picture quality between either lens. <br>

I'd recommend the mpe 65 if you really want macro but theres a bit of a learning curve to use the 65. </p>

• 2 weeks later...