How do you use your Canon

hfd4177

<p>Hello everyone. I own a 5d MKII and a 30d. I was wondering how a everyone uses there autofocus and why you chose the method you use. Do you use the center AF point and recompose, do you manually select the AF point or do you just let the evaluative do its thing and pick for you. For the most part I use the center af and recompose.</p>

<p>It depends on what I am shooting. I have found that center focus is faster for me when shooting sports photography. I will more often find that the action is centered especially if I am tracking a fast moving subject. In most other forms of photoraphy I follow Ansel Adams rule of threes and put the AF at or near where the subject will be. In landscape I use all of the AF points on with a deep dof setting. Like Thomas said, I use all the options.</p>

<p>I also use all methods but prefer to manually selct the Af-point as I mainly work with AI-servo. I really like the new SPOT AF of the new 7D <a href="http://www.hofmann-photography.de/html/eos_7d_first_impressions.html">(samples with zoom-in pictures)</a> which makes it easier to focus on small details. And I like that the AF-points cover a larger area with all the APS-C cameras.<br>

<a href="http://www.hofmann-photography.de/">Geraldo</a></p>

<p>I use AF center focus and lock with the astrick (star) button. I tend to look around too much with the camera and through the viewfinder so I focus, lock and do the rest of the work. I hate the AF on the shutter release because it kept changing if I moved the subject off center, so I find the subject, focus and lock, and roll on with the exposure and settings.</p>

<p>If focus is not complex and/or if I'm working quickly I use AF but with all points active. I'll focus and recompose if, again, I'm working fast and not at very small apertures. Sometimes when I shoot active subjects I may prefer to switch from one-shot mode to AI Servo and use only the single center point. When I need very critical focus I use live view and inspect the scene with the 10X setting, often with the DOF preview button pressed.</p>