New to Nikon - help with lenses please!

jacks pics

<p>Hi there.<br>

I have been shooting MF (Rollei) and rangefinders (Leica/Contax) for a while, but am selling my Leica rig to get a D700 as I have been blown away by the quality, and am spending too much on processing.<br>

I need some advice on lenses. I mainly take candid portraits and architectural shots (see my <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacksloan/">Flickr site</a> ) and have some ideas about lenses, but would really welcome input from this forum.<br>

I would like a fixed length 40-50mm lens (although this might just be a throwback to the rangefinder thing!). A friend suggested the 45/2.8 AiP for its sharpness, but it seems silly not to get an AF(?)<br>

I would also like a longer portrait lens (85 or 105?)<br>

Finally, a wide zoom would be useful for architectural stuff.<br>

I am likely to get about £2500 for my Leica gear and am willing to spend it on the body and a lens or two, building it up as I can afford.<br>

What would people suggest?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Jack.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Looking at your Flickr site, I`d say your lens on the D700 is a 50AFS. Yes; I agree, I`d get AF.<br /> (Sadly, there isn`t a 35/1.4AFS for the D700; it could have been another great option).</p>

<p>I find my 45P very nice, sharp, ridiculously sized and best of all, chipped, but for real life use I prefer the 50AFS.</p>

<p>For a cheap portrait lens in a budget, I`d advice a 105/2.5Ai or AiS. It`s not AF, but in a longer lens and for relaxed portrait work I think it could be the best choice.</p>

<p>Hello Jack,</p>

<p>there's a quite new 50/1.4 out, which I find very nice, and there is also a 85/1.4 which is a dream lens. Another one I sometimes use for portraits is the 105/2.8 micro, which is too close, though, and I prefer really the 50 and getting closer on foot.</p>

<p>A wide angle which seems to be the rising star is the new 14-24/2.8, with an extremely good resolution and detail (which is claimed to be almost better than the Nikon T/S lens...). Alternatively, if you really want to splurge, go out and look for a nice Zeiss Distagon - there's a 21/2.8 (not zoom, and manual focus!) which is crisp clear, but - as most good things - expensive.</p>

<p>At that price, you'll have almost enough to get the D700 body. I'd get the 50mm AF-S mentioned above, and you'll be just over 3 grand if you buy new, then add as you go.</p>

<p>T/S lenses are great for architectural photography, though, so consider one of those instead of a wide zoom eventually. And, imho, you need to seriously consider then if the Canon line doesn't have better lenses for you.</p>

<p>The Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 is the best for quality, and will cover all your stated needs. This is a modern lens designed for use with the D700. It is state of the art and outperforms most of the older Nikon lenses.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>In the 40-50 range, for something newer you are looking at either the Nikon or Sigma 50 f/1.4 AFS.<br /> <br /> I own the Nikon and enjoy using it very much. The Sigma is also a good lens from what I have heard, but it is very large and heavy. The Nikon is pretty compact and has a recessed front element to help with flare. The Nikon also has a focusing clutch so that you can manual focus while the lens and body are set to autofocus.<br /> <br /> There is also the new Nikon 45 f/2.8 Perspective Control, but its pricey.<br>

Personally, I would rather get one of the newer 50 f/1.4 lenses over the 45 AiP...as they are selling for close to the same price.</p>

<p>Jack:<br>

I own a good amount of Nikon glass including some professional zooms. If you are looking for a prime in the range you mentioned, I would look at the 50 mm. 1.4 D AF. It is quite possibly the sharpest lens I own ad at around $400.00 it is a bargain. I do agree that the 24-70 2.8 is a fantastic lens, but it is a chunk of weight and a chunk of money. Good luck, I wish I could buy your Leica gear.</p>

<p>-Owen</p>

<p>Jack:<br>

I own a good amount of Nikon glass including some professional zooms. If you are looking for a prime in the range you mentioned, I would look at the 50 mm. 1.4 D AF. It is quite possibly the sharpest lens I own ad at around $400.00 it is a bargain. I do agree that the 24-70 2.8 is a fantastic lens, but it is a chunk of weight and a chunk of money. Good luck, I wish I could buy your Leica gear.</p>

<p>-Owen</p>

<p>I can't speak to pricing but I would also recommend a 50/1.4 AF-S or AF-D as the others have. Whether you want the pay the premium for the AF-S is up to you. It's one of Nikon's newest lenses, but the AF is not as fast as we normally expect from an AF-S lens. I say visit a dealer and try both. If at the dealer, they also have the Sigma 50mm Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM, give that one a try too. It's known to have better bokeh than the Nikons but is larger in size.<br>

Glen in Japan did a nice comparison: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond700/discuss/72157612521172308/">Evaluation Sigma 50mm f1.4 Nikkor 50mm f1.4 Nikkor 50mm f1.2</a><br>

<br /> For portraits, I strongly suggest you look at finding a 105/2.0 DC or 135/2.0 DC (DC = Defocus Control, which in Nikon-terms means you can control how quickly the focus falls off.) I would not suggest trying to use a 105 Micro as a portrait lens. If those DC lenses are a bit expensive, there is the 85/1.8 AF-D which is very reasonable and there are a whole host of manual focus portrait lenses that are amazing such as the 105/2.5 AIS (Gauss design), the 105/1.8 AIS (my favorite), the 85/1.4 AIS, etc.</p>