7D service note

yakim_peled1

<p><a href="http://www.canon.com.au/support/customer/default.asp?DXI=KnowledgeBase/Customer/KBArticleForm&File=KB01685&productID=eos7d_body">http://www.canon.com.au/support/customer/default.asp?DXI=KnowledgeBase/Customer/KBArticleForm&File=KB01685&productID=eos7d_body</a></p>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">Truth be told, I never heard of such complaint but I'm happy to see that Canon is not sitting still.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

<p>Firmware tweaks are 100% normal. All manufacturers issue them to improve camera performance based on user feedback and to correct problems that were not seen during beta testing.</p>

<p>I have a 7D right now for review and so far it seems to be performing flawlessly. To call it a "lemon" is absolutely ridiculous. Of course individual cameras may have problems, but then again that's bound to happen with a mass produced item sold in large numbers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This unit is really looking like a lemon to me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Haven't seen any "traces" of the preceding frame yet. Whatever, the 7D is the finest camera I've owned, lemons, apples and assorted other fruits included! AF is utterly amazing. With Spot AF, it's almost impossible for me to not to get perfect focus.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Yes, maybe "lemon" is too strong a word, and maybe inspired by the fact that it's the first time it's happened to me. But still, a quick firmware release, a service notice, and many reporting AF issues that are verified and documented? Sorry, but something's wrong here.</p>

<p>Canon strikes again. They need new beta testers or something. Quit giving cameras out to the A%$ kissing people to test and maybe the "testers" would report issues that can be improved instead of "Its the best camera ever made by Canon" BS! If its beta and preproduction, there are tons of issues to be improved before release.</p>

<p>Why is the lowly ol prosumer users that arent "highly regarded" testers always have to be the ones to turn up issues with these cameras to get them right. This is bad for the consumers to spend their hard earned money on an expensive camera only to need constant repair and firmware updates. Sure Canon is getting right on it, but I bet these people that bought their long awaited 7D wished it worked out of the box.</p>

<p>A good friend of mine had 2 swapped out and both had terrible pictures and AF compared to his 40D. He just got his money back. We obviously know their are good bodies out there, but this is happening alot.</p>

<p>I warned him not to buy the 7D just yet. But he couldnt stand it, had to have a better AF system etc. Luckily he was able to get a full refund so he could just hold off till they get this worked out. This shocked me because he was one that wanted the 1D3 soooo bad early on, the AF issue hit and he ran away, warned me not to buy it, I did anyway, got burned, then he ran out and did the very thing he saw me get burned on a year ago. Guess its hard to hold back when they are pitching such a nicely equiped camera. The 1D4 looks awesome, but I can promise, it wont be in my Bag until many have field tested that puppy. I dont have an SI budgte, I buy every piece of my equipment. This white boy wont get burned twice.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>something's wrong here</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, the number of reports about problems with 7D is a magnitude larger than the actual number of 7D sold. And, again, most reports come from people who have never even seen a 7D in person. <em>Deja vu all over again</em> to quote a certain baseball player...</p>

<p>I'm another happy 7D, AF is amazing even in the lowest of light I've been able to nail focus.<br>

Yes there are issues with the 7D, as with anything mass produced, there always be some "lemons"..<br>

I'm a mechanical designer and run into issues of this nature everyday.. Its part of manufacturing world, where everyone wants it yesterday for less money...<br>

But to expect every camera coming off the assembly line to be perfect is just plain silly... no to mention impossible.... </p>

<p> </p>

<p>David there is nothing worse than paying hard earned dollars for something that dosen't work for you. I'm sure that Canon will send it back working 100%. So save your $100 towards some new glass. I've been lucky, so far, over the years I've had at least a dozen Canon camera bodies and more than a dozen lenses and have never had a dud. As Bob Atkins pointed out firmware updates are par for the course as probelms show up.<br>

Good luck on your camera when it comes back from Canon!</p>

<p>"They need new beta testers or something. Quit giving cameras out to the A%$ kissing people to test and maybe the "testers" would report issues that can be improved instead of "Its the best camera ever made by Canon" BS! If its beta and preproduction, there are tons of issues to be improved before release."</p>

<p>Exactly! Heck, as far as I am concerned, I am the BETA tester! and you know what, the camera is flawed! I can't trust it at all- when it is on, it's on. I mean, the sharpness is amazing! BUT, that is only 30% of the time. I was at a wedding last Saturday and I was showing my assistant- How the AF was so messed up it missed focus in every singe af mode available., then it will turn around and work- This is the exact thing I was worried about with buying a new canon body. I have been with canon since I started in photography over a decade ago- and had I had the money, I would have just went with Nikon and scrapped my canon stuff.</p>

<p>And heres Keith. I knew he couldnt stand it. Any that have an issue with Canon are wrong, and they should stop complaining and switch.</p>

<p>I didnt see above where anyone said anything about Nikon, but since you want to bring Nikon in it, lets hear it. Tell us why Nikon isnt any better.<br>

What are the issues that are comparable to Canon. Name some of them. The worst I have see from the Nikon camp that everyone seems to have problems with are the smoked LCD's.</p>

<p>So many 7D users that have to keep returning their new camera for various issues. Whether it be AF, some just are dead right out of the box. The camera had not been out 2 months good and they had to do a firmware update. This camera does not have the sample quantity out there yet to warrant the amount of issues already being reported and addressed for this model. Many still dont have their copy having preordered it.<br>

Now this ghosted image thing. And I bet in 3 or 4 more months, there will be another FW update for another issue.</p>

<p>If you have a Canon camera that has failed you upon arrival, you should stop whining about it and just accept it. Blame yourself or switch. Keith Reeder either has a good copy or knows someone who does, so all cameras are good. If yours isnt performing well, check yourself, cause Canon wouldnt dare release an undertested model for the consumers.</p>

<p>Wow!</p>

<p>You got all that from my little comment?</p>

<p>Impressive. <em>No wonder</em> you see Canon conspiracy theories where none exist.</p>

<p>With you around David, I never need to visit DPR, do I?</p>

<p>The fact is that - just like any model camera - <em>far more</em> 7Ds are good than are bad (and we will be talking aobut orders of magnitude here), and for you to suggest <em>any other reality</em> is juvenile hysteria not just bordering on but far exceeding the ridiculous.</p>

<p>For God's sake, get a sense of proportion <em>and grow up</em>.</p>

<p>As it happens, I don't have a 7D - yet - but I will, <em>and it will be great</em>. And if, exceptionally, it isn't, the one I replace it with will.</p>

<p>The 40D I currently use was equally targetted on release: it was, according to people <em>just like you</em>, soft, it couldn't focus, it was noisier than the 30D, and was - in every way - a backward step from what came before.</p>

<p>I still decided to be an early adopter, and guess what? It's a brilliant piece of kit: none of the problems the whiners guaranteed I'd see affected me in any way, Instead got a camea with better IQ by far than the 30D, much better AF, and significantly improved noise.</p>

<p>So - tell me again - why I should take <em>any notice whatsoever</em> of your juvenile claptrap about the 7D? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wow!<br>

You got all that from my little comment?<br>

Impressive. <em>No wonder</em> you see Canon conspiracy theories where none exist.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I got it from here:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you think Nikon products are free of problems, think again.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I never said anything about the 40D being bad. I feel its a good camera for the money.<br>

There are no conspiracy theories. Just defective 7D's...as usual with Canon. Release anew body, then have to repair 25% of them immediately after.</p>

<p>And for childish remarks. My statement was because of your childish remark:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Don't tell them that, Yakim - <em>they might not go.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>For no apparent reason. No one had said anything about Nikon. A couple had only complained about the defective 7D's. Then the complaint police had to chime in.</p>

<p>Despite what you think Keith, there are way too many defective 7D's floating around for the amount thats actually on the streets as of yet. YOU just dont seem to care.</p>

<p>I am not sure if these problems are real or user error. I accept that there will be a few issues but both my 5DII and 7D have performed as expected from new. My own view is that after the 1DIII prism alignment issues (they were real) Canon has really improved it's launch issues. As others have said I suspect many of these people do not have a 7D. I saw this just after the 7D was launched when several posters tated that the 5DII was inferior at high ISO to the 7D. I posted samples from both cameras to show that the7D was actually inferior (this should be no surprise given physics) but again several posters told me this was not the case. I asked them to post their samples but of course this did not hapen as i doubt they owned either body. I suspect that some of the 7D issues may be similar except where people post sample images.</p>