Is the Canon 580EX compatiable with 5D Mark II?

model mayhem gallery

<p>Since purchasing the Canon 5D Mark II I have had very little use for my 580 EXI flash. However, I had to use th eflash the other day and everything seemed to come out dramtically underexposed. I had to bump the exposure compensation up to +2 to get things looking right. When I tried to go into the flash custom functions on the camera it said non-compatiable flash was connected to camera? Do I need the 580 EXII for it to work correctly with my 5D Mark II? I would much rather by another White Lighting X1600 or Vagabon battery pack than having to upgrade my 580EX I flash. Can anyone tell me why things seem so different than they where on my Canon 30D?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>It is compatible, you just can't control most flash feature from the camera. Some like 2nd curtain you can trigger from camera. You need to use the LCD on the flash to change custom function etc. Can't tell you how it grossly underexposed. I would reset the flash to factory default setting and go from there.</p>

<p>It should work, but you can't control some things through the camera's flash control menu. That's why it says the flash in not compatible. However, if you use the flash's custom functions, you should be able to control most everything. In fact, you may want to double check the flash comp set on the flash. Supposedly, flash comp on the flash overrides any flash comp set on the camera body. But--if you set zero flash comp on the flash, but have plus or minus (in your case it would be minus) on the body, that might explain the underexposure.</p>

<p>Another thought is that, in my experience, each flash/camera body combo produces different results re flash exposure and resulting need for comp. However, 2 stops is a lot.</p>

<p>Canon flashes do that. They underexpose by default. They are set to be fill flash only, not key light. This is very noticable with indoor shots where there's not a lot of ambient light to make up the difference. I usually have to set FEC to +1 or +2 to get key light performance as well.</p>

<p>The 580EX is 100% compatible with the 5DII has far as basic E-TTL II functions like exposure and FEC and FEL. More advanced functions like 2nd curtain sync and manual power are incompatible with camera onboard menus but work perfectly via the 580EX controls. The real problem is with units lacking integral controls, e.g., 220EX and 420EX. Still, even these allow FEC via camera flash menu.</p>

<p>With that said, I use an "incompatible" 430EX an d 220EX with my 5DII and rarely need to touch FEC. It gives me a natural appearing balanced fill flash in bright or dim situations 95% of the time. However, if you prefer the DIHL look over balanced flash and ambient, disable Evaluative flash metering and use "Average." Thus it won't use auto FEC and will look more like a flash pic. If you want to balance flash and ambient, you'll have to dial in your own FEC.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I also use this flash with my 5D MKII and have no problems whatsoever. As others have said, some of the functions have to be set on the flash, rather than on the camera. You need to understand how the Canon flash system works. Basically, in Av and Tv modes, the flash will work as fill-in; whereas in P, the flash will work as main light source.</p>

<p>Thank you all for you input. But, OMG Puppy Face you nailed it dead on. In the External Speedlite Control Menu there is a Flash Function Setting. Once I put the flash on the camera and set it to ETTL I was able to change the Flash Function setting in the E-TTl II menu from Evalutive to Average. This change makes a big difference. I believe Evelutive looks a lot different on a full frame camera because there is about a 1/3 greater field of view so more to be evaluted. I definetly prefer Average because I want it to look like a Key light not just fill. My camera is always on M-Mode so I don't have much experience with fill flash changes based on camera modes.</p><div>00UrHV-184265684.jpg.230071cae3d25f41f37ddf0d555ced48.jpg</div>

<p>PS<br />I am sure this is probably not possible, but here is an example of what I need the 580EX flash to at least look simular to. This is shot with my lowest powered Alien bee studio strobe which is an AB800 with a small nxt Photoflex softbox and a Vagabon battery pack. This is great, but often times way too much to carry. I was hoping to be able to use the 580 EX off camera with a small remote trigger to get at least simular results is this possible?<br>

I have not at this point shot anything serious with 580 EX but because of its high price I really want to find a way to factor it into my photography without having to upgrade it to the 580EX II. I have thought a little about using two in its master slave configuration, but I feel I am going backwards since i already have Alien Bees. Is this logical thinking or am I missing out on something?</p><div>00UrIR-184271584.jpg.01907fba2508977fd7729887cd778187.jpg</div>

<p>You're going to need more then one flash for this kind of strobe flash look. Also your going to need a flash softbox like what was used in this picture (but for ext. flash). The flash output of an external flash is way lower then your strobe. Also the surface area (ie. flash tube) is way smaller compaired to your studio strobe. Best comparison I can make is a cars signal light compared to a head light. Smaller bulb and smaller reflector behind bulb, etc. By the time you set up multible wireless external flashes you'll end up getting better resualts with your studio strobe anyway.</p>

<p>Thanks Chad<br>

Kind of waht I was thinking as well. At first I thought if I have to upgrade the 580 to the 580 EXII then I would have two powerful e-ttl flashes for master/slave configuration. However, I just can't justify the return on investment espeacially if I am not going to get noticably better IQ result from EXII. I have decided to work with my current 580 EX I and put my money towards upgrading my Vagabon to the Vagabon II. These allow me to get outdoors and do events, etc. with my studio strobes. </p>

<p>Thanks</p>