Whats after the 1D?

jim_l

Hello all... I am a sports photographer using the Canon D30 whenever

digital is called for but I want to upgrade in the near future. Rumors

I've heard say there will be a follow-up to the the 1D in the next 4-6

months. If this is true then I'd be willing to wait. Does anyone have

any information or has heard any somewhat reliable rumors about the

next Canon professional digital body? Thanks.

Jim

Jim, I haven't heard of any info on a replacement to the 1D, but you can safely assume that since its digital technology once a camera comes out they're already hard at work working on its replacment. Even if Canon did come out with a new camera in say 4-6 months, you'll probably going to have to wait a few more months after that before canon starts selling it, then a couple of more months on their waiting list and so on.

The rumour mill has speculated for some time not on a replacement to the 1D, but a compliment, the 1DS (for Studio), which would feature higher resolution at lower frame-rates, much as the Nikon D1X is to the D1H. Wait for photokina for some real announcements however. I'll put money on a new low-cost 3.3MP CMOS digital in the EOS 300V (Rebel Ti) body....

Sorry, thought everyone would realize my post was tongue-in-cheek. Kinda makes you wonder tho what people WANT to believe. Considering you can find references here to the Foveon fiasco from over two years ago (it's not as new as everyone thinks), I thought that'd be a giveaway.

Anyone who can answer this question (doubtful many here even have access to such info) with any real, factual information won't. That's why it's called an NDA.

Keith,

Its more than what people want to believe. I've spoken to top professional sports photographers and more than one have confirmed rumors that the follow-up to the 1D (might be the 2D) is scheduled for January 2003. However it is not fact nor are any specs spoken about. I'm hoping January is accurate and as for the specs, my guess is they'll combine the tough reliable body of the 1D with the high megapixels and preview screen of the D60 making the ultimate digital photo machine for 2003!