Need help manually setting my 580 off camera

angel eyes

<p>I'm trying to set up my 580 w/a photoflex softbox kit I just purchased. I've got everything set and ready to go but I'm having issues adjusting the output. I purchased my flash used, and it didn't have the manual. I've been reading the one canon has on the website, but it's not addressing what I need. So I know that if it's camera mounted I can set it manually for everything. I'm not having any luck on this off shoe though. I have played with the hz, the output (1/4-1/128), the mode and ratios, but cannot seem to increse the output. I'll be photographing a family on a bridge today at around 200mm and the only spot to put it is next to me. I know it's not going to do exactly what I want it to since it only zooms to 105, but I need to max it out and shoot under multi. I do have it set to a battery pack, so I'm not concerened about the recylce time. I hope this makes sense. How the heck do I increase the output? </p>

<p>1) A softbox will negate the zoom of the flash. Not a bad thing if you know what's going on as it provides a much softer light.<br>

2) Multi is not the mode you want the flash in.<br>

3) The online manual is the same as the printed manual.<br>

4) 1/1 is the most you'll get out of your flash. If you can't get 1/1, set the flash to M mode (get out of multi mode).<br>

5) How are you triggering the flash?<br>

6) A family on a bridge at 200mm means you're probably further away than what the flash can illuminate if it's sitting right next to you.</p>

<p>Set it to M mode, 1/1, zoom doesn't matter if it's in a softbox. If all else fails put the flash in the hotshoe in TTL mode without the softbox. That distance is counterproductive to try to use a softbox with.</p>

<p>Could you have a defective flash? Does it work properly on your camera? You should be able to adjust your power in TTL AND M. Are you remotely triggering your flash? Depending on the triggers you have, your not xmitting TTL info to your flash. It simply tells it to fire. All adjustments must be done at the flash. Good Luck v/r Buffdr</p>

<p>Buffdr it is just a cheapy trig/rec. set, so yes strictly to fire. One of these days I'll upgrade! Maybe sooner than later now! The flash works fine with on camera. It did good yesterday too. I just set it to 1/1 w/softbox and seems to have been just enough! :-) <br>

Paul I'm not sure how many feet, i know i'm usually maxed out on my 70-200, so whatever 200-300 mm translates too is about how many feet it is. You can see in this picture the litedome was pointed at the kids...so it did make a pretty good difference. </p><div>00UqTA-183745684.jpg.7566d2d7dd75b509d57a4f4b58d9e13e.jpg</div>