Unknown Old Instrument

<p>Hi Just wondering if someone can identify the purpose of this old Agfa unit that I have come across. It has 3 dials on the face, green, red, yellow. It also has three push/pull rods. Inside it has a projector like set up. Underneath it has an opaque glass small screen. I am beginning to think it is off the top of the enlarger but I dont know?? I have posted some pictures.<br /> Lend me your thoughts.<br /> Thanks.</p><div>00Uosw-182763584.thumb.jpg.250ad37bcc84b13ffb80c03e317e4abd.jpg</div>

• 4 years later...
<p>The picture is part of a Beseler 4x4 Agfa Color head enlarger. The enlarger is a Beseler Model 45 MCXAG with a Beseler-Agfa Color head. I own one, which is in perfect working condition. I have been unable to obtain a manual that explains how the Agfa color head works. I do split contrast printing and if I can figure out how to manipulate the yellow, green, and magenta dials on this color head, I think I can use it for split contrast black and white printing. Any information is appreciated.</p><div>00c9Rj-543531984.jpg.ed58e498e5f5b3312fdce98ca019ba61.jpg</div>

<p>The picture is part of a Beseler 4x4 Agfa Color head enlarger. The enlarger is a Beseler Model 45 MCXAG with Beseler-Agfa Color head. I own one, which is in perfect working condition. I have been unable to obtain a manual that explains how the Agfa color head works. I do split contrast printing and if I can figure out how to manipulate the yellow, green, and magenta dials on this color head, I think I can use it for split contrast black and white printing. Any information is appreciated.</p>

<p>For use with b&w variable contrast paper, yellow decreases contrast, magenta increases contrast. The third dial should be cyan - it isn't used with b&w printing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I can use it for split contrast black and white printing. Any information is appreciated."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It can, when approached correctly. There are some common misconceptions about split-grade/contrast/filter printing. <a href="/black-and-white-photo-printing-finishing-forum/00DYfT">This 2005 thread helps clarify the concept</a>.</p>