opportunity to pick up a slightly-used PB-E2 for approximately

US$300.00.

Have any of you lugged around the PB-E2 to do landscape work? Did

you find it advantageous or just a waste of time and effort? What

advantages did it provide?

Perhaps I should pick it up on the off chance I want to do sports in

furture?

Thanks for any advice.

All the speed of the PB-E2 is useless for landscape use. Hand cranked film advance is usually fast enough. On a tripod the extra vertical release isn't needed either as you normally use a cable release. However, if you shoot fast breaking action or lots of hand held verticals, it's a sweet piece. It adds to the weight of your kit considerably, although it does provide better balance for big glass. I never remove mine.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I agree with Puppy Face. I find the PB-E2 a benefit especially if you have large hands. All the necessary controls are available when shooting verticals and it provides excellent balance with long lenses. In addition, the 8 AA batteries last a long time, especially if you use Lithium AAs. Besides, it looks cool! And you can take it off any time you don't want the extra weight and bulk.

With the booster (and a battery magazine) don't forget the fact that you can get AA batteries just about anywhere. If you have ever spent time driving around on a Sunday looking for a country store that has camera batteries you will know what I mean. You should always carry spares but sometimes this happens.

I agree with the above three gentlemen, and I put BP-E1 battery pack instead of PB-E2 for landscape work to save weight and for capability of using AA batteries. BP-E1 can hold 4 AA batteries and 2CR5 lithium together. When AA batteries come to dead, all you need is just to turn the switch to 2CR5 and you can continue taking photos.

The extra weight can literally be a pain in the neck, but I almost never remove the drive from my camera. The only exception would probably be if I knew I had some serious hiking to do and any weight saving is an advantage. Pack it with the lithium batteries they are much lighter than regulars. The heaviest part of your kit is still likely to be the lenses. I also use it because the IS lenses apparently use quite a bit of power and the extra capacity contained in the PB-E2 is useful and cheaper than 2CRs. The main problem with it is that when the PB-E2 is attached many of the usual camera bags won't easily fit the extra size. Check your bags first before you rush out and buy one or you might find that you also need new carry bags etc...which will be an additional expense.

I use the PB-E1 on my 1V's because they were $100 cheaper, plenty fast enough, and I can live without the duplicate command dial and FEL switch. But I use them only for wildlife photography. The rest of the time I use the BP-E1 because it's lighter and smaller, gives a better grip than just the body itself, and lets me use AA's.