Roll film holders

louis_jensen

I�m always very curious about gadgets. A while back I purchased used �Stearn and Co.� RB-67 Roll Film Back

adapter. It was billed as fitting my Old Kodak 8x10 and my 11x14 Studios. I don�t use roll film backs on my LF

Cameras but because I own 19 RB-67 Backs of various ages I was curious and Mainly because no one ever talks

about the �RB� back as an option for those that want to stick with roll film. I have always wondered WHY NOT as

the back is a very good and proven performer and is available in like new condition for a few hundred dollars (less

for a very early one). Well after looking this thing over I went to work and modified it to fit my 4x5 Wisners. The

thing looks really strange, as I milled everything that was hanging outside the camera back, away and Swiss

cheesed the swinging ground glass and film back holder. I then tried it and found the pivot to be to loose for fine

focusing so I machined it for a new bearing and pivot shaft and the damn thing works GREAT. This unit is made

out of a good (not Great) grade of cabinet plywood, and is really not that heavy, but I think I could machine it out

of Aluminum and reduce the weight by 50% but I have to many other �projects� for now. I have no idea why

anyone would put a roll film back on a 11X14 or 8X10 but it does make sense if you want a very inexpensive Med.

Format Camera with movements. After doing this and looking at my �Century� 4 up 5X7 sliding back, that seems

to be a better idea (takes up less space) than the swinging Stearn method. I don�t know if the above really relates to

anything but I guess my point originally was to mention that the RB back is a very good option for those handy

people on a budget..Oh, just one more thing! The very early RB backs work best because they do not have the fancy

safty lockouts that the newer units have.

Hi Louis,

I understand, your back doesn`t support graflock type backs (unmounting the groundglass), so there is still the sinar roll film holder, available as 6x7, 6x9 and zoom 6x4,5 up to 6x12. Even second hand no bargain. I remember seeing some backs on sh-markets, wich looked like the calumet, but branded by other companys.

All others, like horseman, graflex/singer aso don`t slide under the groundglass holder but require to unmount the groundglass after focusing and the use of the graflocks.

Louis, if you can live with a 2.25" x 3.25" gate and taking up on 620 spools, consider the Adapt-A-Roll 620. It is another roll holder that slips in like a sheet film holder. Very similar to the Calumet C-2. It was made in sizes to fit 2x3, 3x4, and 4x5 backs. I have three that I use on 2x3 Graphics. I like 'em. A caveat. Two of my three had non-working frame counters when I got them. Speaking to the mechanism -- there isn't much -- with powdered graphite got them working nicely.

You can read more about them at www.graflex.org. They show up fairly often on the great auction site and generally don't go for very much. The least I've paid for one was $5 for a 3x4, from (no kidding) a dealer's web site.

Cheers,

Dan