Another strange wedding question...

natasha_moon

<p>Hey everybody,<br>

We shot a wedding for a somewhat difficult Bridezilla-ish client. I was pretty relieved when everything, including the postproduction, was finally completed.<br>

Now, a year after I gave her the flush-mount album, she is expressing concern that the album may fall apart someday. I told her that she could purchase a duplicate, but that personally, I'd just be careful with it (I have had my own wedding album for close to ten years and it's fine). <br>

Now she wants to know how long I will "guarantee" to hold on to the album design (so that she can order a duplicate). OR she wants me to give her contact info for the printer so that she can contact them directly.<br>

Thoughts or advice, anyone?? I've never, ever had anyone ask me this before, so I'm stumped.</p>

<p>I would tell her that I'll keep the design for five years (or ten or...). Since I'd burn it to a DVD, storage isn't really an issue (just make sure you use an archival-grade DVD) but give a specific time period. </p>

<p>Tell her that providing the contact information for the printer isn't a viable option. You can give it to her, but the printer won't deal with the end client directly. However, only tell her this if it is true! I'm assuming that the vendor you use only caters to professional photographers?</p>

<p>Natasha -</p>

<p>Tell her honestly how long you hang onto things like the design. For me - I copy everthing off to DVD and then pop the dvd into a firesafe. - Yes - I understand that technology may change, and when it does, the dvd's will get copied to whatever that is.</p>

<p>Let her know if there is any guarantee or waranty provided by the vendor. (check with the vendor to see a) what they cover, and don't cover.</p>

<p>Don't make stuff up or lie to her.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>If you're backing everything up and storing, like Rob and David suggested then you can give her I'd say 5 yrs. Client are pain in the @$$, they don't care for anything but them selves and don't want to know at times HARD REALITY, they just want results thus be processional and give her that courtesy. At the end of the day, you'd like her friends to use you for their affair, thus another dvd in the archive is a small price to pay.<br>

Be glad it isn't film, I know of a client who wanted his album remade using original pictures, they have been married for 25+ yrs and can't understand why studio didn't keep his negatives - that particular studio had (in film days) clause saying that negatives will be kept for 5 yrs after client picks up his/hers albums/ prints and contract agreement has been completed by both parties.<br>

But hey these are our nutty clients and they pay us and drive us crazy...</p>

<p>Adam</p>

<p>Personally, I don't guarantee anything. In general, I keep two hard drives and two optical (DVD/CD) copies of client images. Even then, I don't guarantee anything. And that is what I tell clients. I also let clients know that if they want a print or disc in the future that there is an extra fee for me to "locate" that image. This fee is only charged provided we have the image. At one time, my failure rate on burned media was over 20%. That is to say if I go back 10-years to when I archived everything onto DVD, at least 20% of those discs cannot be read today. Which is why I guarantee nothing. I might suggest charging the client a nominal fee for a disc of the album JPEGs. That makes archiving the images the clients responsibility!</p>

<p>John -</p>

<p>Wow - a 20% failure rate??? If I were you I'd invest in new hardware, software and stop buying the $.20 cd's at costco... If I had a 20% failure rate on recovery of images - I'd be getting a new IT person... Oh wait - I'm the IT guy. </p>

<p>Seriously - A DVD properly stored (ie In a Case and not exposed to mold, mildew, or the elements, should be readable for at least 10 years with no data loss.</p>

<p>By the way - I don't guarantee anything beyond initial delivery, but I do archive the images just in case the couple comes back to me at some point and says - Hey - We lost the DVD, images, whatever...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I used to tell them if they want something "more", the sooner the better because it's very difficult to guarantee anything. Images, negatives, files, they can all be damaged, technology changes, photographers are human, people get sick, go out of business, fall on hard times, move, retire and on and on. Then, have them place an order. I wouldn't guarantee them anything, put the cards in their hands to order what they feel will give them security. I bet they order nothing.</p>

<p>Thank you guys... As always, I got some great responses. We do archive copies for all of our clients... but as somebody already stated, things happen. Knowing this bride, if I tell her I'll keep it for 10 years, she will wait and show up the day before the time ends... Our album company will only work with professional photographers.<br>

In any case, I really appreciate all of the great advice! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>I think you're all missing an opportunity here.<br>

Why not SELL her the discs, along with all the image files on her 3rd anniversary. No one is going to wait 3 years to have prints made and then you're off the hook. She can opt to purchase everything or it's gone. Do you really want to be responsible indefinitely? What if you were to relocate? How would you ever contact anyone after all those years?<br>

I've been selling my negatives, then my digital files after 3 years and it's worked out great. It's also <strong>found money</strong> in the slow season....-Aimee</p>

<p>Why not give her a copy of the album design? She already bought an album, right? When you offer the file(s) to her, ask her to sign a release, stating that she is responsible for backing the design up. Problem solved, no? If you're still worried, then keep a copy for years to come. You'll be a hero when she finally puts so much wear & tear on her album and wants a new one.<br>

I think you should remember to take all of this as a compliment. She cares a lot about your photos. Make this an opportunity to do something for a customer that you wouldn't normally do. It might pay you big dividends.<br>

In the future, maybe have a clause in your contract addressing something similar to the archival nature of that thing we used to use- film. No hard drive lasts forever.</p>