7D AF point selection

mark_james

<p>I have a new 7D (f/w 1.09; received about a week ago). I also have a 5D and XTi. On the 7D, as on the 5D and XTi, when I press the AF point selection button I expect to be able to manually select and set a single focus point that remains in effect until I press the AF point selection button again. Expected to use the multi-controller and/or quick control dial to select the point. What I get is nothing. The AF point selection button itself is functional because Magnify works fine. AF point selection in combination with the M-Fn button switches AF mode fine, and those work fine. In single point AF mode I can select the single point as expected with the multi-controller and/or quick control dial. I can't seem to set it to use a single point all the time (for instance, force it to use only the center point). </p>

<p>Am I missing something? Has the functionality changed? Since the buttons are functional I'd think it is a firmware "feature" rather than hardware problems. I have reset the camera to clear all functions with no help. Just hoping that I don't have to send it back -- that there's something I missed.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>With the new AF system, you really need to select the AF group first with the M-Fn button after the AF selection button.<br>

For each depress of the M-Fn you'll see through the view finder the AF mode.<br>

To use the multi-controller to change your AF group/point position, you'll need to activate the custom function in the menu.</p>

<p>Set it to single point AF via Quick Control screen or press AF selection and then M-Fn to toggle through the options. Select the desired point. It remains as the default until you change it. Like Omega wrote, to use the joystick thingie to change your AF group/point position, you'll need to activate the custom function in the menu.</p>

<p>If it makes you feel any better, 7D AF confused me for a couple days as it's so different from prior models. I actually had to read the frickin' manual. And, yep, it's a friggen breeze now. I prefer spot AF, single point.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter