help with wedding photos

michelle_contreras

<p>my friend asked me to take pictures for her at her wedding because she couldnt afford one ive never done it and im a little nervous i have a nikon d300 but dont have to much skill no one that can teach me i need to know what kind of settings to put it on the light will be low indoors i have the regular lens on it<br>

i also have the sb900 flash<br>

; &n bsp; thank you<br>

; &n bsp; michelle contreras<br>

<p>Michelle -</p>

<p>The best advice I can give is to politely tell your friend that while you understand her situation, you have to decline, since you don't have the expertise or training to provide her with high quality wedding photos.</p>

<p>Wedding photographers train and apprentice for years to learn how to deal with different situations and conditions. It's not something that someone can answer in a forum post.</p>

<p>Not trying to be harsh, so please don't take it as such, just being realistic. </p>

<p>The D300 is a complex DSLR and there are so many settings and situations that it would be very difficult to explain how to set it up precisely for the conditions that you may encounter during the wedding.</p>

<p>Based on your other post in the sports forum - I'd suggest a quick trip to the local Borders or Barnes and Noble to find a good book on Digital Photography - There's several that explain the basics of setup and settings. I'd also suggest the D300 Field Guide book.</p>

<p>Also - do a search on this forum of first time weddings or first weddings... this question has been asked a few times.</p>

<p>Again - not trying to be harsh</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>1. Use Program mode. Put the flash on the camera and keep it there. Turn it on when flash is allowed. Know enough about your image to know when and how to compensate the exposure. Ambient light and flash are separately controlled.</p>

<p>2. Use single shot focusing, not continuous. Use ISO 100 outside in bright light (like sunlight) and ISO 800 inside. Don't forget to change the ISO. You might want to read about ahd learn how to use auto ISO.</p>

<p>3. Get and use a tripod for the ceremony, particularly if flash is not allowed.</p>

<p>4. Get extra camera and flash batteries.</p>

<p>5. Get extra memory cards. Shoot RAW if you know how to work with them.</p>

<p>6. Find out what you can and can't do during the ceremony and abide by the rules.</p>

<p>7. When shooting the family groups, get someone from the families to help you with gathering people.</p>

<p>8. Concentrate on getting the pictures.</p>

<p>Michelle,<br>

Not a direct answer but the book "Mastering the Nikon 300" by Darrell Young will help you with the camera. It explians each setting on the menu and explains each function very well. <br /> About the wedding itself, Nadine always gives good advice. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just make sure that your friend is very clear that the pictures may just be of the lens cap (if you don't take it off - if the camera will do this).<br>

Go for it Michelle.<br>

Get some practice shots in and around the venue and note your settings to find what's pleasing with the equipment you have.<br>

If it's a few shots, formal or otherwise, at a specific site/venue, take a couple of models (friends) and see what you can do (flash and none).<br>

You've used the camera and flash before (yes?). You can do an adequate, if not magazine quality, job.<br>

Nadine always know best (just kidding - hmmm, maybe not).</p>

<p> </p>