looking for a good location/hotel in NYC to shoot a boudoir photos...

angelacardenas

<p>Hi all!!<br>

I need some help...I've done a few boudoir photoshoots , some in the clients' house or apartment. I have a client wanting to have the photos taken in a hotel, which I think is even better. I just don't have an idea which hotel will be best for this type of photos. I took boudoir photos in a hotel before, but the hotel wasn't as nice and didn't have any character. Which hotel in NYC would be great for this type of photos? thanks in advanced for your suggestions!!</p>

<p>Angie</p>

<p>The NYC hotel part caught my eye. I recently went there for the first time, and the interesting 'culture shock' was that the big-name, old-line hotel (Waldorf Astoria), with beautiful common areas and lots of character, had basic rooms that were much smaller than those in any Holiday Inn off the Interstate in Podunk. Newer hotels will probably have somewhat bigger rooms, but my understanding is that almost all NYC (well, Manhattan at least) hotel rooms tend to be small.</p>

<p>Now for my use that was not a problem. But if I had to set up strobes and light modifiers, and wanted to get a flattering subject-to-camera distance (IMHO, typically 10 ft / 3 m), the room size would have been very limiting. So I would give careful consideration to room size and room layout, unless your client is willing to spend serious money for a large suite. </p>

<p>Angie, go to Yahoo or Google and seach for "NYC hotels" or something like that to check out the hotel's sites themselves...they will invariably include photos of the rooms available, from economy to suites; from that you can pick out the ones that offer the look you want and get an idea of which will afford you adequate working space.</p>

<p>I've stayed in many NY hotels on business and few of the rooms have any particular character. But if you want a room that "says New York" you might try the Marriott Marquis and get a room that overlooks Times Square, then shoot somewhere with the model/client in the window with Times Square in the background. Takes careful lighting and balancing of exposure to pull off but could be interesting. the Marquis has a number of rooms overlooking TS, some with more direct views than others.</p>

<p>The Hotel Chelsea is quite popular with fashion photographers but you have to pay a location fee in addition to the room rate, so $500 isn't unusual. Each room is decorated differently so ask them to show you a selection, most of the furnishings are eclectic. <br>

The Ace Hotel chain has interesting rooms to shoot in, nicely designed and not too expensive either, $300 or so.<br>

The Hotel on Rivington is modern with minimalistic glass corner rooms and balconies, but expect to pay at least $500.<br>

If anyone finds a good pre-war hotel with good trim and furnishings, please let me know.</p>

<p>I guess it depends on the look of shot -</p>

<ul>

<li>raunchy and seductive?</li>

<li>classy and alluring?</li>

</ul>

<p>If you want the first one - there is a cheap hotel in Elmsford, NY (right off White Plains) OR<br>

there are some VERYYY nice places up north - near the B&B's in Dutchess county. the further the north you get, the less expensive, and with a train ticket, it may be worth your while $$.<br>

You may even be able to rent a eclectic/classy place in Putnam, Dutchess, Orange County for a night or a couple days-- check out craigslist.</p>

• 3 weeks later...