Tamron 17-50mm VC review

janson_timmons

<p>I have been looking for a review for the new Tamron 17-50mm VC. Anyways I found one finally. It was originally in chinese but the google translation works pretty good. It's not a real technical review but beats nothing. Just thought I'd share.<br>

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Freview.fengniao.com%2F151%2F1517509.html&sl=auto&tl=en&history_state0=</p>

<p>hmm, very impressive. looks like they got the distortion at 17mm under control. samples suggest it might even be sharper then the original version. only downsides seem to be slower focus with BiM vs. screwdrive version and build quality (which of course, keeps the weight down). if i didnt have the original 17-50, i wouldnt hesitate to get the new one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if i didnt have the original 17-50, i wouldnt hesitate to get the new one.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Some review I read says that its bokeh is softer too. Are you still not buying one? Even though I have the Nikon 17-55, I am interested in this lens as the VC may help when I shoot video.</p>

<p>I've had the chance to try out this new lens on a D300. I own the original non VR version with the screw drive. </p>

<p>The lens is very impressive, but it does have two issues that I don't like...</p>

<p>First thing I noticed is the AF is not real fast and not very accurate. Of course I've found this same issue with every Tamron lens w/ the new built in motors used on a Nikon body. Funny thing is the problem isn't so previlant on Canon or Pentex bodies. I wonder if there isn't a firmware issue w/ Tamron and Nikon</p>

<p>Secondly when you lock in your focus and the "VR" kicks in - the lens actually jumps a little internally. You can see this through the view finder when this happens. If you activate the shutter while this "shake" occurs your pictures will be soft or blurred....especially at slower shutter speeds. You actually have to wait about a second while the "VR" stabilizes then take the picture...then you get the full benefits of the VR and a very sharp picture. <br>

<br /> I tested this on 3 different copies of this lens and all 3 had the same issue. </p>

<p>Besides those issues the lens is great. If you aren't shooting sports or anything that requires fast and accurate AF - this lens will produce wonderful shots. Expect more then normal "missed focus" pictures because of a less then accurate build in motor AF. I'm a big fan of VR, it's not the best VR ever but it's better then no VR. I did think the bokeh did look better on this new version of the 17-50mm 2.8. Is it sharper? I couldn't tell just by looking at pictures... I'd say both are sharp....as long as you have accurate focus. </p>

<p>I really enjoy my screw drive version of the 17-50mm 2.8. The AF is more accurate and faster. Tamron needs to address their build in motor AF because it's a REAL issue that needs to be resolved. Until it is, I will not buy a Tamron w/ a built in motor.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I just sold my Sigma 17-70mm and picked up the Tamron 17-50mm VC. I absolutely love it. The auto-focus is not slow, it just sounds slow. I do wish it was a little quieter because when my cat hears it she looks a little worried. Trust me though, it's pretty quick and accurate. Also, the VC works so well, I can hand hold 50mm at 1/15s consistently. As far as the VC engaging and making the lens jump, that description is not true. My experience is that the image jumps a little when the VC dis-engages as you take your finger off a half-pressed shutter. Did I mention that it's sharp too. Sweet spot if f/5.6 to f/8, but f/2.8 is still very very sharp.</p>

<p>I can confirm the Lens jump everytime you focus. I have Nikon D90. The focus is fast and it is sharp but I need to play with it some more. I just wanted to tell everyone about the lens jump which I thought was a problem but it does state in the manual that this will happen and its not a fault with he lens.</p><div>00VB6K-197995584.thumb.jpg.6d671dad9b65b8fd44c5c4d8dd31239a.jpg</div>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>I would advise to patience! User reports are not tests really. The only place as of Jan 8, 2010 where a professional and technically versed tester with a real lab tried it out is:<br>

<a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-VC-Lens-Review.aspx">http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-VC-Lens-Review.aspx</a><br>

This author made only a preliminary testing in his lab and calls them <em><strong>"disheartening"</strong> </em> ! So hold your horses and wait to see how this glass really performs. Personally I will not touch it until I see a good test on at least two places, maybe on photozone.de and slrgear.com<br>

Thomas</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I've had this lens for about a month and love the handheld capabilities with 2.8 and VC. However, the VC has to be initialized prior to each shot (unless shooting continuously). I typically focus and recompose so not normally a problem for me. Then, on vacation, I handed the camera to someone to take a family photo and every shot shows heavy blur due to the shooter not initializing the VC.</p>