WEDDING CRITIQUE OF THE WEEK 10/19/09

picturesque

<p>I would prefer a tighter crop, that gives more emphasis to the couple and removes the some what distracting element of the flowers and drive way from the left of the image. My focus seems to shift to the left whenever I look at the original image and this takes away from the lovely smile and impish kiss that makes this a wonderful engagement photo. Here is my take.</p>

<div>00UoRx-182549584.jpg.56b9b4b2ac73598aa9711f721f57eb6c.jpg</div>

<p>I'm still learning about composition, but the removal of the flowers leaves it, for me, a portrait, not a wedding portrait. Something about the flowers gives it the right context. Is it usually better to crop to faces, leaving out the identifying features, landmarks and (natural) props that are emblematic of the moment and event?</p>

<p>David , i see your point, what do you think of this alternative crop. Ed I dont understand your comment "<strong>Is it usually better to crop to faces, leaving out the identifying features</strong> , landmarks and (natural) props that are emblematic of the moment and event?" Would that not tend to be counter productive for an engagement image.</p>

<p> </p><div>00UoV9-182567684.jpg.5dad436e9eb2c6feb312357bbdf822dc.jpg</div>

<p>The cues for the artistic intent of the image must be taken from Stephania. My contribution was to suggest an alternative framing that tightened the focus on what I consider are the highlights ' Her eyes and Smile , and his kiss". IMHO the flowers on the left of the original image , gave it context of being taken outdoors or in a garden and some atmosphere . But they were also a distraction. Simplify , try the keep distractions out of the image, make your subject large in the frame. Stephania would obviously have the final word as to what the image was meant to convey.</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments and critique from all of you!<br>

Just a note on the composition: The photo was (obviously) meant to have the focus at the right of the frame. The only real reason for doing so was to change things up a bit and to give a different feel to this image. I liked the thought of the focus being on her and not showing him completely. I really appreciate all of the points that were made, regarding composition. Honestly, at the time, I didn't take the flowers into consideration. : )</p>

<p>Just a note on color temperatures and monitor displays - I just want to throw this out there to the masses, a tidbit that a colleague sent me:</p>

<p>"If they are on Safari, that is a color specific <br /> browser, when Internet Explorer is not. Firefox is CSB, as are a few <br /> others."</p>

<p>In other words, some of us might be on calibrated monitors but viewing the image in a not-color-savvy browser, or vice versa. Just an FYI.</p>