G11 with off camera flash

mark_parker2

<p>I purchased a new G11 with the intentions of utilizing a Wynn Safe Sync to fire manual (non-ettl) strobes. According to several articles I have read, the G9 and G10 have no problems using either a hotshoe adaptor or a pocket wizard to fire external devices.<br>

My G11 seems to totally disable the hotshoe whenever a non-TTL device is attached. Phone calls with both Canon and PW reps say that this configuration should work just fine. Their advice was to either :<br>

A. Exchange a possibly defective camera for a new one and see if that corrects the issue or . . .<br>

B. Try to find other users who own both a G11 and non-TTL triggers and see if they are experiencing the same issue.<br>

Could someone with the necessary equipment test this for me and let me know your results? You can either post here or email me directly.</p>

<p>Thanks - </p>

<p>Mark Parker<br>

mark(at)markbrides.com</p>

<p>P.S. Of course the my Canon professional services rep was unfamiliar with the G11 and the G11 support group was not familiar with studio strobe setup. Figures....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The necessary equipment to test your contacts is a multimeter or anything else that checks continuity. The hotshoe (aside from the TTL pins) simply connects the center pin to the outer hotshoe metal to close the circuit. It will be a brief connection though.</p>

<p>I've had a few problems with Skyports being pushed too far forward in the hotshoe of my XTi. When too far forward the center pin doesn't make contact completely. I quit shoving it in so far and haven't had any problems since. I don't have this problem with my 40D, but then again I use the PC port about half the time anyways.</p>

<p>Okay . . . Now I remember why I hate PC cords . . . <br>

For future reference...<br>

Using a Canon G11, Wynn Safe Sync, a good PC Cord, Canon 580EX2 set in Manual mode.<br>

I was able to get full sync at speeds up to 1/2000th of a second when set to 1/4 power. Verified by histogram.<br>

When switched to 1/2 power, I was still able to sync at 1/2000th but the shutter speed becomes slightly faster than the flash duration. I could distinguish a very slight exposure difference between 1/1500th shutter and 1/2000th shutter.<br>

When switched to 1/1 power - Still syncing - but more pronounced exposure difference.</p>

<p>Okay . . . Now I remember why I hate PC cords . . . <br>

For future reference...<br>

Using a Canon G11, Wynn Safe Sync, a good PC Cord, Canon 580EX2 set in Manual mode.<br>

I was able to get full sync at speeds up to 1/2000th of a second when set to 1/4 power. Verified by histogram.<br>

When switched to 1/2 power, I was still able to sync at 1/2000th but the shutter speed becomes slightly faster than the flash duration. I could distinguish a very slight exposure difference between 1/1500th shutter and 1/2000th shutter.<br>

When switched to 1/1 power - Still syncing - but more pronounced exposure difference.</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>I have a strange question: I purchased a G11 for my wife for Christmas. The camera is great and lives up to the best I've read. We are, however, having a strange problem. None of my computer card readers will read the SD card. All is well when we connect the camera directly to the computer but the card by itself doesn't show up on the directory when in the reader. Any suggestions?</p>