Toyo/omega 45F

sara_tabruyn

Sara,

The camera looks good. The lens is probably quite functional although I see spots on the photo so I can't be sure. I would

not worry about "old" provided that it is all functional mechanically and that the bellows does not leak light. (You can test

this by putting a light inside it to see if there are any pinholes shining out.) This isn't a DSLR with 6 month life cycles. Many

of the LF folks here will tell you they are shooting on 50 -100 year old glass and cameras with fine results.

I am not up on the latest values but from my perspective it looks to me like a fair to favorable deal but the question is what

do you want to use this for? If studio then a monorail camera is very practical. If for field use then you might find it a bit

bulky. If you plan to go hiking... Well you see it depends.

Bill

<p>It doesn't sound like a bad price, but such equipment is sometimes available for a little less. You should be aware that this is a camera which was not great when new, and there are much better cameras available for not that much more. The lens is a good one and worth more than half the price. So all told, if you want to try LF without a big financial outlay, a good buy because of the lens. If you know you will like LF, you might prefer a better camera, such as a used Linhof, Ebony, Sinar, or Plaubel. </p>

<p>I have a Toyo/Omega 45E, which is the same, except it does not have the removeable bellows like the 45F has. I like the geared movements and the way it handles. If the lens has no defects, it would be a good buy in my opinion. The 150 is standard focal length to begin with. Bill's comment about where you might use it is important. Mine weighs 8.5 pounds with lens. I keep it in a large plastic bin, which I have outfitted with brackets for safe travel. It is not for backpacking. For that, I use a Crown Graphic. Also, you will need some type of dark cloth to aid in focusing. A jacket can do. Or you can make one. <br>

Just some thoughts...</p>

<p>Jack</p>

<p>Thank you for the advise. I plan to use it for in a studio mainly, definitily not hiking! <br>

I was told the bellows don't leak light and the lens is clear, so if like Bruce said, the lens is more then half the price, it seems like a good deal to me. And a dark cloth is no problem!<br>

This is going to be my first large format camera and I'm really excited to use it!</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

May be a fair price. Did you check KEH for comparison. I think you can find something for a lower price if you shop carefully. For your information, I paid $500 for the following used through Craigslist:<br>

Toyo 45G<br>

Regular and bag bellows<br>

Schneider Super Angulon f/8<br>

Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f5.6<br>

Customized trunk.<br>

With the exception of the bag bellows, all items are in very good condition. I have resealed the bag bellows, although not the greatest job in the world.<br>

You can see some photos of this at:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/sets/72157621949266496/<br>

I continue to check Craigslist for various accessories, and I have seen prices for LF cameras all over the place. There are certainly bargains similar to what I paid, and I did pick up a Cambo SCX in good condition for $150. I don't need two, so I will eventually let one go after getting some experience with both.<br>

Hope this information is useful, and good luck on the purchase.</p>

<p><strong></strong></p>

<p>I've had a few of the Toyo monorails, and always liked them. I currently have the 45F, with both the regular and bag bellows.</p>

<p>Be advised that the Toyo bellows, in general, are pretty flimsy, so you should monitor them for light leaks on a pretty regular basis. You can patch with artist's acrylic paint as you go along, rather than buying new bellows every time a little pinpoint light leak shows up.</p>

<p>Try to get the seller to throw in the bag bellows too, which really should come with the camera. This will be very useful if you ever use a wide-angle lens, or could probably even be used with your 150mm.</p>

<p>Also, many of the camera parts are plastic -- a very high quality, durable plastic, but plastic nonetheless -- and various well-used samples of these cameras might not be so durable as they once were. However, Toyo is in business and you can get it fixed, for a price.</p>

<p>In any event, I would try to talk the seller into throwing in some more film holders -- ask for 8 or ten, instead of two, at the same price. That would sweeten the deal a little bit.</p>

<p>The spots on the lens in the photo look to me like "Schneider-itis", where the paint around the inside of the lens barrel, which reduces flare, starts to flake off. It's not a problem and won't affect your photos, at least if that's all it is. Just about any old Schneider-made lens (including many of the Calumet line) have this.</p>

<p>Good luck with your new camera, and have fun!</p>

<p>Yes, I checked KEH and Craigslist and Ebay and there is not much for the same price.<br>

Thanks for the advice, I will try and talk to the seller and wait a few more days so I can look around some more.<br>

The plastic doesn't bother me too much, this is going to be a first large format camera and if I really get into it, I will probably invest in a better one.</p>

<p>Bill (and Sara),<br>

Yes, I think I got a good deal, but I don't always get the best deal. For the Toyo and Cambo, a combination of luck and effort.<br>

There are good deals around where I live (Southern California) because of many sellers and relative fewer buyers. On the average, about several listings a week, some with a too high of an asking price and others at bargain prices.<br>

Below is a new listing today, and the extras are well worth $100-$200. Usually, it is possible to offer less than the asking price.<br>

"Toyo View G 4x5 -- $650 -- This camera comes with a Schneider 5.6 210mm lens, 9 film holders, poloroid back, 2 extra bellows and one extra carraige, and case."<!-- START CLTAGS --><br>

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/1429619241.html<br>

I consider the offer to be a good price, indicating that the offer to Sara is certainly reasonable, particularly with the lens. I agree with Michael that it does not hurt to ask the seller for the additional items. Buying them individually later can be expensive, even if from KEH.<br>

Hopefully, the information will help you negotiate and feel comfortable with your purchase. I am sure you will be happy with the Toyo, even at the asking price.</p>