1/1000 shutter speed

davidc1

<p>It was very sunny at the weekend and I was using the 1/1000 speed on my M6 Classic and a few of the shots have come back with a strange shading on them (example below) is this a shutter problem? I have just had the camera CLAed because the slow speeds were sticking and I'd be very annoyed if after only 10-12 films from a full service it was a shutter problem. what else could it be? <br>

thanks<br>

davidc</p><div>00Un4N-181747584.JPG.3b6c26ec0ac0c5527923dc516531f2c9.JPG</div>

<p>It was cla'd by the main importer of Leica for Hong Kong (schmit marketing), they gave me 6 months warrantly with the repair so I may take it back...just annoyed as it was a shutter problem that was repaired (the shutter was hanging open at speed of 1/30s and slower).<br>

thanks</p>

David, if the "banding" is not visible on the original negative, it might be a film scanning problem. I have a Nikon Coolscan V

ED scanner that sometimes has output very similar to yours. Evidently glare/flare from the edge of the negative flares into

the picture frame sometimes. Typically it happens on a frame on the end of a strip of negatives, and only on the edge of the

frame closest to the inside of the scanner.<div>00UnBY-181791584.jpg.561786a41eeff6c152aa15cc0a5226d5.jpg</div>

<p>My M6 classic has the same problem, most likely it is related to shutter, see my post (and helpful replies) here:<br>

<a href="00UVlo">http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00UVlo</a></p>

<p>And, here is an earlier post that I was given reference to:<br>

<a href="00SfHi">http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00SfHi</a></p>

<p>Apparently, there is an easy DIY solution. But I didn't have the time to replicate the fault to be sure, so I didn't try the solution.</p>

<p>Good luck,<br>

K.</p>

<p>Sorry for the blank post. It does look like a shutter problem, the second/closing curtain is either bouncing or stalling, I would say the former. My condolences, I have also had problems after a very expensive CLA in Australia. I love my Leica, but... Anyway, here is a picture from Florence, Italy...</p><div>00UnJp-181859684.jpg.9f5a8e46348fa3be0d75ffb4f51f5667.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>"CLA'd by the main importer of Leica for Hong Kong (schmit marketing)"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They need a new shutter tester...</p>

<p>John C., your issue was <strong>too tight </strong>a slit width combined with too slow CTT's. Re-cementing new curtains to their barrels at the proper clearances was the remedy. This particular instance for David, is classic out of balance <strong>C</strong>urtain <strong>T</strong>ravel <strong>T</strong>imes.</p>

<p>Chuck, <strong>shutter bounce</strong> would exhibit an overexposed (double exposure from 2nd curtain recoil) <strong>white bar</strong> at the end of it's travel. Held normally & horizontal, it's always on the right side of the picture with any LTM or M camera. <strong>Brake adjustment</strong> would be the remedy for this.<strong> </strong></p>

<p>David's M6 on the other hand, is one curtain catching up to the other, and as it does, it <strong>collapses</strong> the slit width, which then creates a much higher shutter speed on to that area of the image. (Or visa versa)</p>

<p>Before you do anything else, I think you might want to go w/ what Leigh said and ck your negs. I once had a bunch of seemingly bad shots from a camera that looked similar to the photo you posted, and when I put the negs on a light table they were perfect. An obvious scan issue.</p>