D3S: focusing mechanism drastically improved?

arthuryeo

<p>If you navigate to the <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/microsite/d3s_d3x/en/?cid=IGD9ABGZIGS">D3S microsite</a> , one of the original testers (Vincent Munier) said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It was well past midnight, and I can honestly say that I could not see this bear with my own eyes --- only a slight twinkle of light on his wet nose allowed me to focus.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know that my D3 cannot focus in the dark this well? Sounds like there is a lot of tweaks in the focusing dept., don't you think? Anyone has any published facts to support this besides this marketing blip? <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --></p>

<p>Once the camera becomes available, there will be more observations about the AF system and if it has been significantly revised - it's hard to make conclusions based on the subjective comments of one tester. I think these bear photos could have been successfully made with other cameras (such as the D3 and D700) but they sure do look nice and it must be nice to be sure that you can stop the movement in these conditions even if the bear moves quickly.</p>

<p>I have to say that Munier's night wildlife video taken with the D3s (including some material from Finland) are evocative and to me they illustrate very nicely the benefits of large sensors in video.</p>

<p>I would find this camera very useful for my own stuff.</p>