Prints on Epson Ultra Premium Luster flaking

<p>I'm very new to printing, and have been looking for the right kind of paper. I got a box of Ultra Premium Luster paper to try it out, and I do like the finish. But, I printed a full page print and noticed that in the sky there was a very small place (about half the size of a pin head) that was pure white, like it hadn't been printed on. I blew some air on the paper and more flakes came off. I thought that it could be paper dust, and got a new sheet of paper. I tapped this sheet and blew on it to make sure any dust had left, and printed another picture on it. This time it was even worse! There was about 3 to 5 flakes per square inch in a certain place on the paper. The flakes don't come off until I move the paper, so I printed another picture and <em>carefully</em> moved the picture to a table, and like the instructions say, waited 15 min and placed a piece of plain paper over it. I'm going to let it sit for at least 12 hours or more before I even breath on it :-)<br>

So, any ideas why this is hapening?<br>

By the way, I have been using Ultra Premium Glossy photo paper with excelent results, and I am currently using a CIS with the Epson 1400. I really can't tell a difference between Epson and this other ink, except there is one picture of a waterfall that only prints well with Epson Ink. With the other, the greens turn brown, but yet I can print a picture of a mountain stream and come out with stunning greens.<br>

Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>-Jon</p>

<p>There is a chance that some dust or other material got on your paper either before printing, while loading the paper, or while printing. I've seen this a few times, though it is pretty rare. What happens is that the printer prints nicely on top of the "dust" which then comes off the paper, leaving behind a white spot.</p>

<p>Check the paper to see if it is contaminated.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Clean the printer as best you can. I have had this problem from time to time, and am very careful with the paper now. I keep a micro fiber cloth to just gently give the sheet a dusting before I insert it into the printer. Since you like that paper (as I do also), check out Calumet's Brilliant Supream Luster. Much cheaper and the quality is as good or better. IMHO</p>

<p>Like others mentioned the paper may be contaminated, flaking is usually more of a problem with matte papers. Look for a horsehair drafting brush (usually about five or six bucks) and brush each sheet right before printing. The horsehair will prevent a static charge building up on the paper and attracting dust. Never use a synthetic brush as the static charge created will defeat the purpose.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help.<br>

It hasn't been 12 hours, but I checked on the print. I picked it up, blew on it, tapped it and no flakes came off. Before I printed on that one, I tapped it on its edge pretty good to break anything (dust...) away from the paper. So now I'm out to find a brush/cloth to wipe the paper before printing on it.<br>

Ray, Thanks for telling me about the other paper. It's about half the price I paid for the Epson paper.</p>

<p>Just curious, why can't I find 8x12 paper anywhere? It's either 8x10 or 8.5x11. I considered getting 13x19 and printing two 8x12 prints on it, then cut it in half, but I would have to get a large paper cutter for that.<br>

-Jon</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just curious, why can't I find 8x12 paper anywhere? It's either 8x10 or 8.5x11. I considered getting 13x19 and printing two 8x12 prints on it, then cut it in half, but I would have to get a large paper cutter for that</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are you trying to print borderless? Otherwise, just float your image on a canvas matching the paper size you want, and enjoy the extra space which will be useful for mounting and matting. I think that cutting with something like a paper cutter would just lead to problems. You can usually get borderless prints from your local printing labs but that sort of obviates doing it yourself.</p>

<p>On the 8.5x11 that I am using, I print borderless. The problem is, when I print on 8.5x11 or 8x10, I have to crop off at least 1.5 inches on the long side to fit the paper on the short side. For example, with a horizontal image, the wide side is 12.6" when the short side is 8.5." I really havn't had any problems, but if I sell the pictures I print, it would be hard for someone to matte and frame. I may try printing on a 11x14 and leave extra space for the matting and see how that works.<br>

Just a month ago, I would have never believed that I would be printing my own pictues. Now I don't want to take my images to anyone else because the paper I use (Ultra premium Glossy/Ultra Premium Luster) is way better than anything the local lab ever used, and I like the control over the prints. Although, if I ever need anything larger than 13" wide, I'll have to send it to the lab.<br>

Thanks for all the help.<br>

-Jon</p>