Nikon 18-200mm creeping time

caldwell_b

<p>It shouldn't creep at all if you have it pulled back to 18mm for carrying around. When you're using it out in the world, you're likely to be hand-holding it anyway (that lens's primary purpose in life), and your left hand will likely be on the zoom ring, preventing any travel anyway. I've never found this to be much of an issue - and yes, my early-vintage copy of that lens <em>does</em> creep out if I happen to carry it nose-down and not set at 18mm. I've used the lens for years now, in casual carry-around applications, and the creep issues has simply never really mattered.</p>

I've never really minded the creeping myself until this past week. Walking around the north woods of Wisconsin it became a little troublesome for me. As Matt Laur said, you would normally be holding it when walking around but when I was on terrain that was kind of rough I needed both hands/arms extended for balance. Even with a stretchable neckstrap absorbing some of the shock of bouncing. That darn lens kept creeping even when locked into the 18mm position! It would take it a little while to unlock from the 18mm position but when it did it didn't take long to become fully extended. It got to the point that I became more worried about my lens than where I was going & I probably missed some good shots! My lens is about 1 1/2 years old.<br />

<p>"I am trying to gauge what is a NORMAL creeping time"</p>

<p>Actually, creeping is never normal. As in, "Excuse me, you are creeping me out!"</p>

<p>"When you point the len downward vertically, how much time it takes to creep from ~30-135mm or where ever it stops."</p>

<p>I have done extensive tests with a digital stopwatch to clock this very phenomenon. I can report there is some variance between drop (note: not "creep") times as well as between copies of the lens.</p>

<p>I tested dozens of copies, from those made in Japan and those made in Thailand. Those made in a secret facility in Burma shave a few tenths of a mili-second off the average drop time of the others.</p>