Shooting mannequins with full fashion style?

candice_cain

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm starting a photography project and pretty much need help with every aspect of it. First, a little about me, I studied photography for 2 years over 15 years ago, did a little assisting and then ended up spending my career as a producer and not a shooter. I worked in NYC for 10 years of my career producing for very high end clients and creating very diverse productions. I did learn a great deal being around the sets for 12-16 hour days!! But the first assistant always put in the equipment and lighting order so I never became all that familiar with what was necessary for what type of shoot. I do have a general recollection, but not enough to go on for lighting on my own.<br>

So I'm going to be doing work on headless mannequins and need to shoot them as if I was shooting fashion photography on a person, I will only be shooting one mannequin at a time. Each mannequin will have multiple shots of the mannequin moved to three different angles and taken from one distance, then I will move in tighter to shoot detail images of unique aspects of the clothing when necessary (I know this will require a re-light so I need advice here too). The clothing I'm shooting will range from full size shots of dresses and suits, shots of tops and shirts and shots of pants and skirts -- so I will be coming in from three different heights. My first question as it relates to this is what focal length and aperture would be typical if I were doing these shots for a fashion shoot at these different distances and heights?<br>

My next concerns relate to lighting. I truly don't even know where to start with this, obviously I don't need a hair light for headless mannequins so I know that much, but beyond that I need all the suggestions you all have to offer me as it relates to lighting. Ranging from do I use soft boxes, umbrellas, something else or all of them together, etc. As far as what brand of lighting equipment to purchase I don't want to purchase something that lives in a repair shop eating off my credit card. Also, I must use flash photography for this. I would like to go as high end as I can, but not necessarily as high as pro-photo (although I have seen some amazing deals on used pro-photo so I would consider it). I am the type of person that believes in quality over bargains.<br>

Regarding the background I have done some research looking at other fashion images created for a similar purpose as my own and have decided on a medium grey fabric background out of focus. That color is certainly bland but that's really the whole point, you shouldn't even see that a background is there because all your attention should be focused on the mannequin image. How far away should I place the mannequin from the background for the three different distances I will be shooting?<br>

Additionally, I have never shot with a digital camera, but I do have a friend who is going to help me with that aspect. I purchased the same camera he has to make it easier which is the Cannon EOS 5D Mark II. My friend that is going to help me learn how to use the camera is a table top shooter additionally all the productions I did in NYC were still life not fashion. I have not purchased any lighting or grip equipment yet because that is where I need the most help and the entire purpose of this post. But, as my question reads I want to give the still life mannequin images a complete fashion style and I really have no one to ask about this because I didn't spend my career in that area of the industry.<br>

I'm very excited about this project, I need to order my equipment immediately and I look forward to hearing from all of you!! I will also be shooting table top and will post a similar question to this one in that category.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

Candice</p>

<p>Owen, that wasn't very nice, lol. You're on camera flash suggestion is quite below the bottom!! I'm looking for help, I included extensive details on my needs not as stream of consciousness but to answer any questions people may have for me from the start so I could drive right into getting answers. Teasing with you here though, thanks for the other information. I will say that the photographer I produced for primarily was of the school of thought that you take the image as close to perfect as possible and don't fall back on retouching. And being that what I will be doing will eventually turn into assembly line work after I get my look established I believe his approach will be my approach also. Time is money...</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Candice</p>