Who still uses discontinued Nikon DSLR Bodies?

marco_gonzalez1

<p>When a new camera is released, it basically has an 18-month production cycle. You already know by the time you get around to buying one that in a little over a year, you won't be able to find it new anymore, and won't want to because something better will come along for the same price. It wasn't too long ago that when a new product was released, the company would stand by it for years and years. Didn't the F3 last for something like 20 years?</p>

<p>I won't buy a new camera. I will look for a model that has been out for at least 2 years, has a proven track record, and is still tops compared to the new models being announced today. Today I would buy a D300, but I can't bite the bullet if it's not for full frame. I really want a D700, but they are still not cheap enough for me. I might be buying one next year, when I've saved up enough money. Hopefully by then, there will be a D700s or D700x to drive down the price of the D700 for me.</p>

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Until about a year ago I used a Nikon F5 as my primary aerial camera. It was only when I got a D3x that I felt that digital was good enough to replace Kodachrome scanned at 4000ppi.</p>

<p>See a few shots <a href="http://GregPetersonPhoto.com/Nikonf5.html">here.</a></p>

<p><br />Oh, I just realized that the OP asked about "D" SLRs. Well, that's what happens when you get old!</p>

<p>Earlier this year I bought a brand new (with USA warranty) discontinued Nikon D200. I was really trying to find a D80 (also discontinued), but a large retailer was dumping the D200 at below the price of a D80. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and see no need to replace it with more modern stuff.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>I have two D70's that I purchased when they were new. I STILL use them and love them. I've made great 16x20's from them. I would like to maybe get a D90 some day -- only because of better high ISO performance. <br>

Otherwise, I'll keep using my trusty ANCIENT Nikons.</p>

<p>This is what I do...<br>

I get some black paint from a hobby shop. I fill-in the Nikon logo and cover the model number. You can also use some black electrical tape, but it doesn't last as long. The model number also comes off with super fine sand paper or polishing cream.<br>

Nikon doesn't pay me to advertise. I pay them, so they should advertise my company!<br>

Plus, every other wanna-be photographers are in awe and become super curious what kind of stealth equipment I use. Works like a charm!</p>

<p>I have to wonder why you even care what they think. Use your camera & be happy it's still working. I have a friend who was just so upset his passed on....<br>

I currently own a D700, a D300 & the last camera I bought was a D70 with less than 1400 actuations which I had IR converted. It works just great.<br>

Not to mention the Nikon FM & N90s I also own.<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>Gosh,</p>

<p>I'm really ancient! I am still using several Nikon F's, F2's, and an F3. Why? Because I love them. I enjoy the feel of them and the simplicity of them. I love having to think about the exposure and the way the aperture, shutter speed and focus work together. I love the feeling of being connected to a million nikon users from the past. I shoot for recreation and I get more out of it by staying with the basics. I have to think. And this enriches the experience for me. Don't misunderstand, I would love to have a digital camera. Just make it a Nikon FMD! Somehow I know I am not the only one who feels this way.</p>

<p>No, Charles, you're not the only one who feels that way. I'd love an FMD, or DM2. Or maybe a D-FE2. But I got tired of waiting and got a D700, which is huge compared to an F3. It's really nice, though. To paraphrase Mike Johnston, the D700 is perfectly nice as a camera, whether it's digital or not.</p>

<p>Yep, pair of D200 bodies and some fixed fast lenses and I'm totally happy. I shoot mostly at ASA200, 800 is my high speed and it's fine, all results work well for me. Got the two bodies, extra batteries and extended warranties for $1600 brand new USA, how can you beat that?</p>

<blockquote>Lol, I love it!<br /></blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>This is what I do...<br /> I get some black paint from a hobby shop. I fill-in the Nikon logo and cover the model number. You can also use some black electrical tape, but it doesn't last as long. The model number also comes off with super fine sand paper or polishing cream.<br /> Nikon doesn't pay me to advertise. I pay them, so they should advertise my company!<br /> Plus, every other wanna-be photographers are in awe and become super curious what kind of stealth equipment I use. Works like a charm!</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Discontinued DSLR? Cheese and Rice, I'm still shooting with an F2 and DE-1 prism. None of my shootin buddies dare say a word, they know better. Blow their doors off with great pictures made with whatever camera you have . That will shut their pie holes plenty quick.</p>

<p>I'm only a college student, so I don't have the luxury of buying "new" things. I'm going strong with my D200, bought used about a year ago. Six months ago I discovered that NX would correct for CA just like the new bodies do for jpg. and my lusting for the D300 almost went away.<br>

The D700 doesn't have the reach for me and my lenses compared to the D200 right now. The D700x will probably have a slower than 5 fps rate which means I won't buy it. I'll probably wait for the D800 or D800x (baby to the D4/D4x) before I upgrade. which will probably be in 3 years, which is exactly when I'll start making some money for a change! Life is good.<br>

When I can actually afford to start travelling in 5+ years time, I'll pretty much have the best camera anyone at present can conceive in their minds.<br>

I'm a little too young to remember the start of the computer revolution, but I sure am enjoying this digital camera ride!</p>