My Monitor’s Colors Don’t Match My Printer Output

<p>

<p>My monitor, (an NEC MultiSync FE992 (CRT) ) calibrated with a Pantone Huey don’t match the color coming out of my printer (an Epson R2400). The situation is most apparent when the image to be printed has extreme colors, and less severe with more subdued colors. The funny thing is that when I do a “print with preview,” the image in the preview window is pretty damn close to the printer’s output, in terms of color. The output of the printer is way off the color rendition on the monitor. What gives?<br>

Here are some particulars: I soft proof on the basis of the paper profile I am using. In the Epson Photo R2400 Properties box I select the Epson paper I am using and as far as ICM I select “off (no color adjustment),” however, in the Print box, I select the profile of the paper I’m using in the Print space box.<br>

Any thoughts?</p>

</p>

<p>all look good..try relativa colorimetric instead of perceptual, i dont think it will make a big difference, but lets try.</p>

<p>What do you mean by color dont match? you mean the flower come out purple or less vibrant orange? darker than your monitor? Are you sure that all the print head are use, meaning have you make a test print to see if all the ink are OK?</p>

<p>Other than that i cant see from here what could be wrong...</p>

<p>

<p>Thanks for the responses.<br>

I reprinted as suggested: once ICM “off, no color adjustment,” and rendering intent "relative colorimetric," and once more with ICM “on applied by printer software” and with the appropriate paper profile selected. There was no improvement observed in either print.<br>

When I say colors don’t match, I mean that flower has a less vibrant orange, almost dull, with color shifted to a tan-like hue. I also find very often that printing is darker than shown on the monitor, but not always. Occasionally the prints look as good as the monitor suggests. I think the print heads are fine and there are no clogs indicated with the nozzle check. Could this be some out of gamut issue.<br>

I suspect my problems lie with some mismatch in color management (user error), but I can't figure where.<br>

Maybe custom paper profiles is the way to go. What do you think.</p>

</p>

<p>As i said, all your setting is fine..theres nothing else you can do there.</p>

<p>You said your print head are clean, your settign are fine...could it be a out of gammut problem? could be but i can say it since i dont see the print.</p>

<p>A custom profile is rarely or never needed for a epson printer using epson paper and epson ink. That wont fix your problem.</p>

<p>If you print another different image, does it look OK? have you ever print this flower image before?</p>

<p>Adobe changed the name to "simulate paper color" from CS2, but it is the same function. In my experience there is a huge difference turning on and off that option with Epson Premium Luster Photo paper (Using an Epson 3800), especially with some saturated colors (Epson profiles). The soft proof is very close to the print.<br>

If it is an option for you, a paper that I found with better rendition of saturated colors is Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.</p>

<p>Roger,<br>

I tried Best Photo with its appropriate profile, and Saturation redering. (Best Photo is simply at lower resolution than PhotoRPM.) No improvement.<br>

Francisco,<br>

I don't have Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, but I do have some Harman Gloss FB AL and will try that as soon as I find it.<br>

Anyway, the problem is largley with flowers of extreme colors and at this point I will move on as this problem is getting to boring and tiring to resolve.<br>

Thanks for all the replies.</p>