Did Edward or Brett use Rodinal developer?

dan_smith

In "Darkroom 2" Cole Weston mentions developers that Edward Weston used and Rodinal is not among them. In 1968 Brett was given a Rollie SL66 2 1/4 camera in exchange for some prints and comments about the camera (to be used by Rollie if appropriate). I recall reading somewhere that he used Agfa APX 25 and Rodinal in high dilutions, but I don't remember if he also used it for his large format work, much of it 11x14 contact prints. I don't recall the source of this, but that is my recollection.

I'm sure Brett Weston used many film formats and developers over his long career. But the 'look' of his photographs remained the same- always a strong graphic effect with deep black shadows. Quite a contrast to the very open, ultra-long scale of his father's work...

In the early '70s there was an interview in "Pop Photo" that mentioned Brett using the Rollei SL66 and Agfa 25 in Rodinal 1:100. Take a look at his work (unfortunately not that well represented in print) and see what he saw. "Voyage of the Eye" is the best place to start. Can you tell what format(s) he used?

The Westons used pyro for film development and Amidol for paper development. Edward, Brett, and Cole have their own variations of these formulas. Although it is likely that other agents were used, Brett and Edward especially, worked mainly with Pyro and Amidol. Brett, believe it or not also did most of his printing with a point light source.

Most of Brett Weston�s prints were contact prints, often from his 11x14 negatives. As mentioned above Brett (at about age 57) began using 120 format, and that would probably be his first use of an enlarger on a regular basis. However, I would like to know whether the reference to Brett�s use of a "point source" enlarger for most of his printing was just quoted from another post which did not provide a definitive source for the information, or whether it was read in some primary text. I personally do not have any information on this, but am a bit skeptical (especially since most of his prints were contacts). Brett did not like to talk much about his technique and burned most of his negatives shortly before his death.

According to Cole and Kim, Brett used Rodinal..as described earier for 2 1/4 images and also for 8x10 stuff. Kim uses Rodinal now and for paper LPD which was Brett's last paper developer of choice. Edward stuck with what he knew best, ABC Pyro and Amidol. Amidol is pricey. ABC Pyro is great for contact printing but not the best for enlarging. I know Brett also used HC-110 (at least in the later years.)

Just goes to show that technique is more important than the absolute choice of stuff.

This is the answer I received back from Kim Weston-

Hi Gary

Edward Weston used Pyro Negative Developer and

Brett also used Pyro, some Rodinal and HC10.

I am going to put Edwards formulas up on on our website very soon.

We give them out at our workshops.

Edward Weston's darkroom techniques and formulas are well documented in a Cole Weston article for "Darkroom 2" (edited by Jain Kelly, Lustrum Press 1978). The darkroom techniques of 9 other well-known photographers were also presented (in addition to those photographers whose articles appeared in the original "Darkroom" volume which preceded it).

In his �Darkroom 2� article Cole includes Edwards�s chemical formulas for ABC Pyro, Amidol, and fixer as well as other details about purchased products he used such as printing paper. Cole is designated in Edward�s will to reprint his negatives, which Cole did as faithfully as possible (I believe he has stopped printing but still has inventory available). Cole�s prints are signed �Negative by Edward Weston and Print by Cole Weston.� Cole and Brett printed many of Edwards�s negatives while EW was alive as his darkroom assistants. Although Edward did have some 4x5�s and about 100 images on 2 1/4 film, I believe all of Cole�s prints of EW negatives are 8x10 contacts.