New 300/2.8... WOW!

paul_ingram

<p >I received new Canon 300/2.8 lens last Friday hours before our high school homecoming game. Rains were in the forecast. I was determined to use it, with my 50D. I had a rig for hands-free umbrella by jamming the handle down into a camelback pack. Knew I had to back away from the action more than with my 70-200, but it became crazy. I had to shoot from the back of the end zone fences. The newspaper photographer got a big laugh. I soon moved to the roof of the press box, which I though would be a compromise but it is roughly the same angle as TV cameras at televised football games. No, that angle was no substitute for dramatic side line shots. But I could cover the whole field, not possible from the sidelines. These are photos for the kids and parents, so I hate to miss a critical far-corner shot. This lens was amazing. The speed and accuracy of the focus was amazing. Paired with the low-light capabilities of the 50D meant that even in the corners of the poorly-lit end-zones I could get something. The next morning I helped shoot a 5-mile run event over the old US 80 Mississippi River Bridge. I have a lot to learn about this lens. What an instrument! </p><div>00UjFJ-179849584.jpg.8770ba9490afb75ea4dc641c978a0124.jpg</div>