Photo booth in a wedding

tolik_p.

<p>I was just wondering, how common are photo booths during the wedding reception? I have not seen them at a wedding yet but I am getting married myself in a few months and I saw an ad about them so it got me curious.<br>

Should I get one? would it be a hit? or is it cheesy? All I am looking for here are you thoughts and ideas. I understand it is a cost to me just to entertain the guests, which is important, but would it be worth it?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I haven't been to a wedding either as a guest or photographer where they've had one set up. Most brides / grooms that I work with are on a pretty tight budget, so they aren't up to the extra expense. </p>

<p>IMHO - they're tacky, cheesey, overpriced and provide nothing of lasting value to the Bride and Groom. The wedding guests should be able to find enough to do without needing something else to amuse them. </p>

<p>If you really want to go all out - then have your wedding photographer set up a mini-studio at the reception for guests to pop in and have some photos taken.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Well I'm very into technology and computers, so I can make a system myself, and our family owns a construction company, so we can build a professional looking setup too, so it wont cost me much if I do everything myself - it will just take time.<br>

Mostly I just wanna see if its practical, and if and why people do it :)</p>

<p>Whether a photo booth at a wedding is cheesy or not depends on how the booth and the process is set up. I've seen cheesy booth pictures and I've seen fun, non-cheesy booth pictures. It also depends on what you consider cheesy. Sometimes, the guests have control of a cable release and take their own pictures. Some of those look really fun. I've seen one example where the camera used for the images was set up with a ring light, so the images looked very different from the norm. You could also set it up so that the resulting images are shown on a monitor at the reception.</p>

<p>I've also seen commercially made photo booths that can be rented for the reception. Those can be cheesy or not--depending upon how you look at such a thing. Some commercially made booth pictures can produce a strip of images much like the photo booths of old used to.</p>

<p>Or, a photo booth could simply be a backdrop and studio style lighting, with the photographer taking traditional studio type portraits of guest.</p>

Well what I had in mind is a booth that was made of some sort of plastic with aluminum frame or so. People would get in

and sit down, there would be a screen of them as a live view and 3 buttons, one would be for color images the other for

black and white, and a large one for the sequenc to start. After it's done there would be a strip of 4 pictures printed with

our names on the bottom. Then I'd have a second monitor outside the booth to show a slideshow of all taken shots. The

setup is really not that hard to setup, I've figured how it all works today so making something like this would only be around

$300-400. I think that's not bad at all. I talked to my fiancée today and she loves the idea and said that would be a great

personal touch as I DO love photography so getting the setup would reflect on my interests, and I agree.

I will post a thred on building the booth setup when I'll be building it, but that will be in few months :) if there's anyone

interested in knowing how set the electronic parts just let me know and I'll help out :)

this should be a fun project :)

<p>I've never heard of such a thing at a wedding. It does sound fun though and the way you explain you would have a ready made slide show of all your guests. well the ones brave enough to have their pic taken that way. For sure all the kids.<br>

Good luck with your project, and congrats on your wedding, HAVE FUN!<br>

wlt</p>

Thanks, I'm excited about it :) I'll hang a 32" LCD on the outside and will shoot the shots inside with a G11 that I will be

getting in a little so quality will be good too. Ill probably put a flash on the camera DNS will shoot it through a semi

transparent plastic wall that would act as a soft box. And now my nerdy side talking- the backgroud would be white plastic

probably, and I was thinking of installing very bright LEDs on the side of the backwall so it would shoot into the background

wall with colors of the wedding? I think it would look nice as a soft tint of wedding color?

<p>Hi Tolik<br>

I own a photo booth rental company and can tell you it is not an easy thing to make or run.<br>

It is very similar to doing instant portraits and printing on the spot. If you have never done it before, you will be in for a long night of glitches, demands, technical prblems, etc. You need to do a few events before you develop a flawless system that works for you.<br>

Be prepared to spend every single minute tending to the booth. There will be problems, questions, confused people, people wanting duplicate shots, people not leaving the booth to let others use it, people taking someone else's pictures, etc.<br>

It is NOT the kind of thing you can just set up and leave alone.<br>

People are very hard on the booths. They will cram as many people as they can in it, stressing all the components. They will spill drinks all over, set drinks on any level spot, Try to rock it when people are in it, etc.<br>

This happens at even the nicest of venues. There is always some in the crowd that get too rowdy.<br>

You are going to be way better off just renting one from a reputable company.<br>

If you want to try building one for fun, test it out a friends party or something, not a wedding.</p>

<p> </p>