Suitable adaptor to avoid mirror clash when using C/Y mount Zeiss 50mm f1.7 lens

ed_hurst

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I recently purchased this lens for use on my 5Dii, together with a basic adaptor from a certain online auction site. I have been very impressed with the quality. However, although it worked flawlessly for a while, it has recently developed a problem - the mirror not returning after firing a shot. Apart from being annoying this is also causing me worry about the mirror - so I have stopped using the lens.</p>

<p>Anyone have any good advice on what I can do... Perhaps a specific alternative adaptor that avoids this problem (and where exactly I can get it)? I would rather avoid removing/filing/modifying anything on the lens if I can help it.</p>

<p>Best wishes,</p>

<p>Ed</p>

<p>If you use an adapter where the mirror doesn't hit the lens, it's likely that you will lose infinity focus. Otherwise, there's many tutorials out there regarding shaving the 5D mirror so that different lenses no longer create this problem, that way you don't have to do anything to the lens, and you can also put a number of different lenses on your 5D which have similar problems.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input Steve. I should have said that I am not keen to modify my camera either! I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there are adaptors that allow this lens not to clash with the mirror whilst retaining infinity focus, but maybe I misremembered that...</p>

<p>Ed,<br>

First off, clearances between the Zeiss C/Y lenses and 5d camera are very tight. I would check the following: Does the lens focus past infinity? If so you will need to adjust this. I believe that on the 50/1.7 Planar the adjustment is done by loosening a set of screws under the rubber sleeve of the lens barrel, adjusting for infinity and re tightening these screws. Once this is resolved if the mirror still fouls does it clear when focusing closer, say at 100 feet? In that case check if the mirror might have moved a bit or is loose, let only Canon fix this! I would NOT do any surgery to the mirror or lens. You might have better luck with a 50/1.4 Planar, that is what I use.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks for your input Steve. I should have said that I am not keen to modify my camera either! I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there are adaptors that allow this lens not to clash with the mirror whilst retaining infinity focus, but maybe I misremembered that...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. What I meant is that certain lenses, when focused to infinity, have their rear element protrude so far back that they make contact with the mirror. In order for an adapter to solve this problem, it would have to move the lens further away from the mirror, thus losing infinity focus.</p>

<p>You can also have a look here for a 5D lens compatibility chart for MF lenses.<br>

<a href="http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html">http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html</a></p>