I need advice...(processing)

jeverett

<p>This is my first summer shooting full time weddings, and I've had the weirdest experience with this one past wedding that I am editing. I've never had any trouble with monitor calibration, printing colors etc, but this last order I printed came out ridicoulously over saturated and red..?? I just purchased CS4 and Lightroom and am wondering if the updated software would have any effect on this? The weird thing is, when I was editing them, they looked fine, but it wasn't until I went back after that they looked horrible. (Can they be corrupted in that way??) I have a neutral room to edit in, and was editing in balanced light...(the variables were the same)..<br>

I am so confused.... I am going to go back to square one and edit the RAW files again... but how should I approach the client and let them know why it is taking so much longer than expected!?!?<br>

:( I am exhausted trying to keep up with all the editing....</p>

<p>Going back and reedit is a pain and you know that first hand, sorry, but obviously do what is needed to be done.<br>

As for approaching the client, my colleagues commonly been using same line then and now "<em>the lab is backed up, they just contacted me in regards and I'm notifying you that you images are safe but will take a bit longer to get processed</em> ". If the client starts saying that they have been waiting forever, apologize few hundred times and give them an alternative option: "I have another lab that I on occasion use, they might be less busier but they are more expensive and I'm going to have to charge you the difference in price. One of the reasons why I'm able to keep my cost down is b/c the lab that I use isn't charging me arm and a leg and most of the time is really quick on their turn around time. They just happened to be loaded right now and notified me right away and I'm notifying you. I want you to have your pictures and enjoy them and I'll work with you, what would you like to do?" At this moment you don't come of as a jack@$$ but a professional, (since you did cover basics) and <strong>most likely</strong> when hearing that it'll be more $ they might not want to do it. In case they do though, upon proof return or w/e arrangements you have with them you can refund that portion and say something that you were able to workout a deal with the lab where you'll give them more jobs in return for lesser price.<br>

Now, I obviously don't know what you have written in your contract but in mine, I say that turn around time is b/n 2-4weeks pending labs availability and that hasn't changed since film. Usually, I'm lucky to do a proof-return w/in 10days and clients are happy since they are getting their images "faster" then contract says where I'm throwing a line "lab did me a favor and processed them on priority bases".<br>

Client don't care and shouldn't know what is going on behind the scenes of production, they just want results.</p>

<p>Good Luck<br>

Adam</p>

<p>I would find out what the problem is before re-editing everything. You could be wasting a lot of time and doing the same thing that caused the problem to begin withI don't know a lot about color calibration, etc., but the first thing to check is whether you are working in sRGB color space, as labs work in that mode. I would also suggest posting one file.</p>

<p>"I just purchased CS4 and Lightroom and am wondering if the updated software would have any effect on this?"</p>

<p>Sounds like color space issues to me. Lightroom uses ProPhoto RGB, although you can convert it to a different space upon exporting. Your camera and CS4 have multiple color space choices. Make sure you don't have a mismatch somewhere.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You also need to check the settings at the lab. When I have any doubts, I take a retouch picture to the lab and make sure they do not change colors or exposure, I ask them to print the photo as is. Then I take that photo and compare with what I'm getting in the monitor. It may be primitive but has worked for me! <br>

Nadine is right. Color space might be the problem. Check the camera settings, on your computer and check with the lab to see if everything is set the same.<br>

By the way, tomorrow I'm getting a visit from the lab to calibrate the monitors in the studio (PC and MAC).</p>