Monopod and head suggestion

paul_ingram

<p>I am about to take the plung with a new Canon 300/2.8 IS, and wanted to get a new monopod to replace the one I lost. Then I started reading a gazillion posts and articles online and realize that monopod (and tripod) head options are varied and complex. I shoot indoor and outdoor sports and would like a recommendation for monopod and head (gimbal or ball or other) that is suitable for that lens with adequate support and freedom of panning movement (with some vertical swing). I just don't have time for hours of research and I am hundreds of miles from a store where I can shop in person. - Paul</p>

<p>A,</p>

<p>I do own one and it is not heavy. Once you move to genuine super-teles then the 300 2.8 is the baby of the bunch. If the weight of the 70-200 2.8IS is an issue then the 300 2.8 is not for you. For surfing with a 2x tc I use a tripod, mainly because I am there all day and I can set my tripod up and go off to lunch etc. When I do musical events I am only allowed to hand hold, it really isn't that much of an issue.</p>

<p>As i said pretty much any quality monopod will work fine.</p>

<p>Paul, the sharpness and the focus speed compared to your 100-400 will leave you wondering why you didn't get one earlier.</p>

<p>Have fun, Scott.</p>

<p>Jos,</p>

<p>Pistol grips are useless on modern super-teles, you can't access all the lens mounted buttons fast enough. Don't forget on the 300 2.8 IS you have 4 programmable buttons, 3 focus buttons, 2 IS buttons, a refocus ring and a MF ring to deal with, any time spent with your left hand not on the lens is wasted. Watch any pro photog with one and see how they use their left hand.</p>

<p>I just purchased a Manfrotto 234 monopod tilt head, and it works well with my 100-400mm and 70-200 2.8 IS. Sure, it only tilts one way (up and down or sideways, depending on how you orient the camera on it). But I can't see how restricting movement on any other axis would be useful on a monopod anyway. The 234 is also much much cheaper than any other solution I looked at.</p>

<p>Paul:</p>

<p>I have a quick release clamp mounted directly on top of my Bogen 681. I like the way the release works on my tripod head, so I ordered the same one:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/327819-REG/Acratech_1142_Quick_Release_Clamp_with.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/327819-REG/Acratech_1142_Quick_Release_Clamp_with.html</a></p>

<p>I'm using this with a Canon 300/2.8 IS, as well. Works perfectly for shooting soccer. I leave the tripod collar slightly loose. If I want to switch from vertical to horizontal, I rotate the camera in the tripod mount. I can point the lens up or down enough to follow action up and down the field. For a telephoto lens, I don't think you need a head on a monopod. </p>

<p>I don't see the need for a swivel head if you're using a tripod collar, which you should be using with this kind of lens anyway.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Eric,</p>

<p>I agree, for same altitude imaging (close to field level for sports, track level for cars etc) there is no need for a tilting head on a monopod. Where they are good is for things like airshows, birds in flight and shooting down, like high up in stadiums etc.</p>

<p>The way I look at this -- I wouldn't spend a ton of $ on a monopod, as no matter how much you spend you won't be able to hold the camera completely still. I spent more on good tripods and ballheads, and went with a lower end Monfrotto monopod and tilt head.</p>