17-85mm or a 28mm f2.8? or neither?

james_midwinter

<p>i'm now undecided about whether to get the Canon EF-S <em>17</em> -<em>85mm</em> f/4-5.6 IS USM, or a 28mm f2.8. I have £200 to spend, from what little I have heard, the 28mm is likely to be sharper (which is most important to me) than the 17-85, but is it significantly sharper to warrant not having the versatility of the zoom lens (I would probably mainly shoot using the wider end anyway, only occasionally using the full 85mm, but would quite like the option)? I have spent a lot of time today trying to find out, but cant seem to get any direct comparisons in image quality.<br>

The wider aperture isnt neccersarily important in this case to me, neither is build quality, I just want to get a nice, sharp lens for my limited funds!<br>

Thanks guys</p>

<p>Hmm (scratching head)... These are very different lenses. It sounds like you haven't really decided what you want it for. The 28 would be similar to a "normal" prime on APS-C - a handy focal length, but not terribly fast. And I think the f/2.8 version has a pentagonal diaphragm, no? My 50 f/1.8 has that and to be honest it's kind of annoying. The 17-85 is reputed to be strong on the long end, but rather weak on the short end, unless you're applying corrections in post processing. Remember that there's a lot more to a lens than sharpness.</p>

<p>PS. I think photozone.de has tests of both of them on an 8MP sensor.</p>

<p>The 28mm f/2.8 should be significantly cheaper than the 17-85mm. The 28 usually goes for around US$150-200 on eBay lately. The EF-S 17-85mm used goes for about $350 to 400.<br>

Another "normal" lens for an APS-C camera would be the EF 35mm f/2 for $250-300, and it is a good prime,</p>

<p>But these lenses are very different lenses, so your question is a little like asking whether you should buy a minivan or a motorcycle. It depends on what you are going to do.</p>

<p>Seems like a very odd pair of alternatives - very different solutions and, as such, the "sharpness" issue seems almost trivial next to other differences. I'm thinking that you might want to back up from these particular two lenses for a moment and ask yourself something like: "What lenses would be ideal for my photography?" or "If I could invent my ideal lens for my work, what would it be?"</p>

<p>As an only lens, I'd be reluctant to recommend either of these, for a variety of reasons.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>thanks for the answers everyone, thats given me a bit more to think about. Thanks for the Lens Comparator Mike, thats a big help. While my question does probably sound a little odd, and the lenses are quite different, there is a (slight) method behind the madness! I would go into details, but it would be boring, so sorry if the question was a little confusing!<br>

Thanks for taking the time to answer, you've all really helped, I really appreciate it. The Tamron looks a nice lens Tommy, but its beyond my price range. If anyone knows any similar lenses to the 28mm by third part manufacturers that can compete I'd love to know.<br>

Thanks again guys</p>

<p>I love the 28/2.8, and wouldn't trade it for the 17-85. As far as resolving power and sharpness goes, the 28 blows the socks off the zoom. Even at f/6.3 I can see quite a difference in how much detail the 28 gives me. Bonus - it can be used on a full frame SLR. </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>An old thread this, but I found myself wondering a broadly similar question myself - I've found a large number of folks with breakdown problems with the zoom under comparison here - most commonly a sudden refusal by the AF system to focus at lengths over a certain figure, other owners report more comprehensive misbehaviour. It seems to stem from a flexi cable that connects the focus motor which has flexible conductors that are subject to fatigue fracture.<br>

Canon is commonly quoted as wanting to charge somewhere around £200 to repair this. Alternatively there are various stripdowns illustrated online and on you tube. The part is apparently available for about 20-30 quid. (Although I'm not completely handless I doubt if I'd be inclined to undertake this job myself)<br>

I bought my example about three weeks ago on ebay and came across this issue online shortly afterwards. Mine is okay, but this makes me wonder for how long that'll continue...</p>