A ball head for my monopod

orcama60

<p>If in the U.S., check out a Flashpoint F-2 (sold at Adorama). Works for me with a D300 and 180mm. For less than $60, it holds and clamps well and very smooth to go from vertical to horizontal. I think it's a fine solution for a <strong>monopod</strong> . It comes with a plate, but also accepts my RRS L-bracket with no problem. Hard to beat at that price and the darn thing works. </p>

<p>I think a ball head can be useful on a monopod if you are in rugged terrain. In an urban environment you usually have a smooth solid surface under your feet but if you're on a trail the best surface maybe off at an angle. The ball head allows you to use the monopod at an angle. Just my #0.02.</p>

<p>I've been using an old Gitzo ballhead on a Feisol CF monopod for the past year together with an RRS clamp. With an L bracket on my D300 I have the option of either "flopping" the body for verticals (if I'm in a hurry) or (preferably) re-mounting it. <br>

Beats me why the use of a ballhead with a monopod is so often not recommended.</p>

<p>With a monopod, you do not need a super high quality ball head, since the monopod isn't all that stable to begin with. You do, however, need to have a way to adjust the camera so that you can use the monopod at an angle. I use an inexpensive lightweight eBay ball head with a quick release on mine. I wouldn't dream of using it on a tripod, as it is nowhere near rigid enough.</p>

<p>You DEFINITELY NEED to use proper technique when using a monopod. Don't have it straight up and down, as that is the least stable position for it. It will wobble in all directions. Try angling it out away from you about 30 degrees, and push into it as you shoot. You will find it much more stable.</p>

<p>It really depends on three things. What are you shooting, which lens are you supporting and what is your budget? I just spent a day shooting the Miramar airshow with the Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head on the same monopod. I used it to support a 300mm f/2.8 Ai-s. I really only used it to take the weight of the lens off my arms and body. I t worked perfectly for this application. The only challenge was when planes were well overhead, I would have to kneel down pretty far. But this is a very specific application which the tools worked for. it may not apply to low light or shots with less movement or a requirement for perfect locking of the camera. even though the ball head was plenty strong to hold the 300mm + D300 combo without any creeping.</p>