Stolen: Leica 50mm Summicron, silver #3818074_So. Australia

35mmdelux

<p>Shipped Leica 50mm Summicron, silver #3818074 lens USPS to Bruce,, Australia, July of this year 2009. Buyer says he never received it. Customs # swipped in country. So somewheres between Melbourne and Bruce, Australia, it must have gotten stolen, right. Enjoy the bad Karma.</p>

<p>Paul, I am from Melbourne. Enjoy your posts and your photos but this post is being left uncommented I suspect because we are not entirely sure of the text or subtext. Very sorry to hear of something missing. I have received parcels via USPS here without incident but I don't know their reputation well, or who acts for them here. Registered mail via Australia Post is highly reliable for camera repairs within Australia according to the expert I used for a CLA, to whom I sent my M2 via that service. There are a lot of Australian rangefinder users and many are frequent visitors here and on RFF. Buying and selling gear through the forums is not particularly incident-prone here I don't think. Did you sell through the classifieds on photo.net?<br>

All this is a prelude to me saying that if you think the buyer has received the lens and is lying about it to avoid paying you, then say so. The mention of Australia without particularizing it to the specifics of the USPS agents here or their own means of delivery in this country and the generic 'Bruce' seems to cast aspersions on Australia and Australians generally as buyers of second hand goods. According to the proprietor of one very reputable business in CA, with whom I have dealt recently, he has never had trouble with Australians and being paid. He also uses USPS. This incident then, if not specific to the shipping method, is not relevant to Australia but relates to one dishonest person, as you seem to be implying, and they might have lived anywhere. </p>

<P>Paul like Richard I live in Melbourne and I must agree with his statement USPS is extremely reliable I have had many such shipments from the USA even from B&H. While this is so one parcel comes to mind some years ago I purchased a beautiful Vito III ( that auction site ) the seller stated it has shipped, waiting and questioning him for more than 90 days I lft a neg FB. The camera arrived some 30 days later that was now more than 4 month. Post Office USPS stamp date for shipping correct shipped the time advised by seller. My apologies to the seller duly noted can not be changed except for update. I am whriting this here in hope you will still see the parcel get there.</P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<p>Several years ago I mailed a lens to a forum member in Australia and it was promptly delivered. Canada Post on this end, Australia Post on his. No problems on either end. Sounds like this was an unusual occurrence and may perhaps end as Manfred has stated. One can hope.</p>

<p>Hello Richard,<br>

I mention Bruce because Australia is a huge continent. To simply say Australia doesnt provide enough information. Coincidentally, 2 weeks earlier unbeknownst to me a friend of mine returned a 50/1.2 Hexanon to the same guy and that lens was "not received" either. Certainly this could happen anywhere, but this particular case occured as I stated above. IF it occured in NYC, I'd say NYC.</p>

<p>After 5 years and 1000(+/-) trades I became complacent and blundered on this deal. Ive been posting here for 5 years and many of you know my integrity from many trades. I'm just trying to get the word out to well meaning Leica folk. Use caution, be careful, and there's a 50 silver cron in OZ carrying bad Karma.</p>

<p>I want to thank PNET LEICA & RANGEFINDERS Forum for allowing me to post my missing lens. RFF was a great disappointment as they quickly deleted my post of advisory. A sad chink in their armour.</p>

<p>Best regards and thank you -- Paul</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sounds like you have had overwhelmingly good luck in your previous transactions. I take it the parcel was not insured or did not require signature confirmation. That might be the thing to do from now on. </p>

<p>Most people are honest as you must undoubtedly know, Paul. However this incident seems to be eating you up. You lost some money. Don't lose faith in humanity. That would be even more tragic. Put this behind you and move on.</p>

<p>Via Google Bruce looks like a suburb of Canberra Australia with a population of 3387 folks. Caberra has a population of about 350k or more. Is "Bruce" Australia not known in Australia as a city? it pops up on a google search real quick. Or did Bruce come across like saying Kilroy USA; where maybe there is no city called Kilroy?</p>

<p>Like me when I first read the post it seems that readers were assuming "Bruce" as the buyer rather than the shipping destination.<br>

Sorry for your misfortune on this transaction Paul. Hope it all works out for you.</p>

<p>Two such incidents with the same connection I agree is more than unfortunate. Kelly's point then is likely to be spot on. I am very sorry for the bad apple here. One of our iconic spots is Philip Island in Victoria to see the Fairy Penguins come out of the sea. No photography allowed. Professional camera thieves target the car park and My M4 and 50 Summilux were stolen from the car (1986). The only good thing to come of this was 1: discovering the Summicron and its weight and handling advantage and 2: learning of photo.net for posting stolen serial numbers: M4 1211427 and Summilux 50: 2028438. Your experience leaves a nastier taste in the mouth. </p>

<p>But where can you post stolen S-Nºs today?!<br>

In a thread like this one it makes not much sense IMHO.<br>

Leica had a page for stolen items, but dropped this service;<br>

don't know when or why...<br>

Maybe they did not want future customers to worry,<br>

maybe there have been false claims, who knows?</p>

<p>And here in p.net, where you can efficiently post your losses?<br>

Sorry for your loss.<br>

Knut </p><div>00Uez4-178055584.jpg.3728dc95985d5ae41eb65556c9aa2b8d.jpg</div>

<p>Dear Paul.A<br>

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your lens. I too live in Canberra, not far from Bruce. And personally know your would be buyer of the lens. I can categorically state that he is a first rate guy and would never be responsible for the loss of your or any other lens. In fact, I might say that even though Canberra is a great place to live, he has been the victim of house break-ins on more than one occasion. <br>

In all fairness I personally would never mail a valuable item uninsured and without signature confirmation service. I know it might be hard to accept a $800 loss on your part but the PayPal made the ruling and found your would be buyer in no fault at all. <br>

Once again I am sorry for your loss. I have personally lost $4000 in cold hard cash a few years back. It was a big hit to take but I couldn't let that amount of money spoil my life. So I guess you can learn something from it and move on.Cheers.</p>

<p>Since there have been two independent incidents with this person, maybe what's going on is the packages are being left at his doorstep and someone else is picking them up. If he's been burglarized more than once it sounds like he's being victimized along with the folks who ship to him. Signature confirmation would help avoid this problem.</p>