Agfa Selectronic S: Rangefinder Adjustment / Manual

<p>Can anyone instruct me in how to adjust the rangefinder in a <strong>Agfa Selectronic S</strong> ?</p>

<p>I see a small screw inside the camera below the film gate but would like to be sure that's the rangefinder adjustment before I start messing around with it. I've also never adjusted a rangefinder before so I'm a bit timid.</p>

<p>In addition, does anyone know where I could find a copy of the <strong>English</strong> user manual for this camera?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>The Agfa Selectronic where made by Chinon for Agfa there are several models some SLR and some RF based on the Optima 500. You would have the RF, sorry I can not help with the adjustment but for a manual you may be lucky at Butkus Org.</p>

<p>I have severe doubts that the Selectronic rangefinders were made by Chinon, they have a proprietary shutter and the shutter electronics uses an european-made IC. Also, they were the high-end versions of the latest Agfa Optima viewfinder cameras, I think they all were made in the Agfa works in Munich.<br>

Anyhow, a long time ago I tinkered on the Selectronic S (actually this was the first rangefinder camera ever I had the opportunity to shoot with - my uncle owned one). But I faintly remember that the rangefinder adjustment is accessible only after removing the top cover. There is a little screw beneath the front rangefinder window (I think the Selectronic does not use a moving mirror system but a moving lens system - the front lens of the rangefinder window moves off center when focussing).<br>

When reassembling the top cover, take care that the coupling piece of the ASA dial meets the shaft of the mechanism. Also, the lever peeking out of the hot shoe must be fitted properly into its slot.<br>

The Selectronic S probably was an attempt to compete with the japanese rangefinders of that era. But the camera was designed far too complicated, only advantage over most japanese rangefinders were the indicators of both shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Manfred and Winfried for your responses.</p>

<p>I must agree with Winfried on the origin of the <strong>Agfa Selectronic S</strong> . I've read elsewhere on the internet that the camera was made at Agfa works in Munich. In fact, it says right on the front of the camera "Made In Germany".</p>

<p>Indeed, the viewfinder is very nice on this camera. Including indicators of both shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder is a real bonus!</p>

<p>Still looking for a <strong>manual</strong> ...Anyone?</p>

<p>Thanks again,<br>

Dave</p>

<p>I do not even have a german manual, but maybe I can give you some hints for operation:<br>

1. The camera will run on alkaline 625 cells. As long as the lamp on the front lights up when pressing the test button, the camera will run OK. If the light does not show up with fresh batteries, try to clean the battery drawer contacts - they are difficult to reach but it is possible.<br>

2. When opening the loading door, the cartridge holder will pop out. The Selectronic S has a quick loading mechanism, just push the film leader under the flap on the take-up side and check whether it is catched by moving the advance crank (and don't forget to push back the cartridge holder). When the loading door is closed, check whether the frame counter works - it advances only if the film is moved correctly (it is driven by the sprocket wheels).<br>

3. The camera does not have a rewind crank. To rewind the film, push the lever marked R below the lens inward and upward. It will be latched by a small silver button. Now the advance mechanism is switched to reverse gear (actually there is a very nifty gear set below the bottom plate) and the film will be rewound as you move the "advance" crank. The frame counter will count down, too. Agfa tried to make film loading and rewinding as easy as possible for the user, but NOT for the repairman - the whole advance and rewind mechanism is rather complicated and not easy to fix if it fails.<br>

4. The release button (or rather foil) is very soft, Agfa made a lot of efforts to design a shutter release without any shake.<br>

5. In low light situations, the shutter speed indicator will move to the tripod symbol. Also, the indicator lamp on the front will light up as long as the shutter is open.</p>

<p>Yes, Chinon was the supplier of the Agfa SLRs - and of some more "european" SLRs. Bauer (a branch of Bosch and a manufacturer of super 8 film cameras) had plans to sell some SLRs made by Chinon, too, but they were never sold officially - there are some prototypes on the used equipment market. Also the late Alpa SLRs came from Chinon. Zeiss-Ikon had plans to replace their late "Voigtlaender" SLRs by Chinon-made ones, a few prototypes were sent to Zeiss-Ikon but never sold. (Many of the late lenses for the Voigtlaender SLRs from the 70s and 80s were made by Mamiya, although they have the traditional Zeiss/Voigtlaender designators.)<br>

The Selectronic rangefinders were designed and manufactured by Agfa, they have the same body size and similar features to some of their late Optima models.</p>

<p>BTW, the Selectronic S (Solinar-lens) sold for DM 450. Medium-range SLRs, like the Minolta SRT101 and similar, had a price of approx. DM 800, so the selling price was rather high and the Selectronic S was not too successful. I wonder for how much one of the Yashica Electro series with similar features (most of them had a much more powerful lens) sold in the 70s in Germany.</p>

<p>Thanks for the additional information Winfried! The information you provided is very helpful. I'll be shooting my first roll soon - so I'll need it!</p>

<p>After cleaning the camera up a bit it looks and functions flawlessly. I checked the rangefinder at infinity and it appears spot on. I'm not sure if I'm up for taking the top plate off at the moment so I may just go shoot a roll as is.</p>

<p>If I can pick up a small piece of ground glass at the local camera shop I'll check the rangefinder by putting that against the film gate and focusing at various distances. I'll update this thread if I end up doing more calibration.</p>

<p>Thanks again,</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>P.S. Manfred, thanks just the same for your input. I did check butkus.org and he didn't have a copy.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>hallo everyone :)<br>

i have one question i just shoot my first roll with agfa selectronic f but revind film system not working i need remove film in darkroom <br>

i use r lever how <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=195375">Winfried Buechsenschuetz</a> describe but it dont want revind it</p>

<p>do enybody know how to rapair this</p>

<p>best regards <br>

damian</p>