Graininess in bokeh

arthuryeo

<p>I can see noise in the darker smooth areas on the right of the image (there's no grain with digital sensors). That's normal. If you want to get rid of it, run noise removal software or buy a bigger camera. For practical purposes that level of noise is of no concern.</p>

<p>Noise. Every image has it and if you look hard enough you'll find it. 99.9 % of your viewers won't look that hard and if a few do they won't care. I've exhibited images with much worse noise<br>

The problem I see in your out of focus background--bokeh if you insist--is the blue squarish blob-a trash container maybe. It's too regular and jumps out of the rest of the background. Clone it out with your image editor and you will have a better image</p>

<p>arthur, that "fuzziness" is a lens characteristic. like i said, the nikon 50s arent great for bokeh, though the 1.4G is better in that regard than the 1.8 and the 1.4D. the bokeh on those lenses is somewhat nervous and not smooth and buttery. if you have too much of it in a shot it becomes distracting. if you want better bokeh from that lens, stop down to 2.8. if you want better bokeh at that FL, get a sigma 50/1.4.</p>

<p>I think there may be two things happening here:</p>

<p>1. Soft and out-of-focus areas make noise more apparent, while in-focus areas of an image have textures and details that hide apparent noise.</p>

<p>2. Adjusting contrast and curves in processing can cause posterization, or banding. This looks similar to noise in certain areas.</p>