B+W Kaesemann circular polarizer: slim or non slim?

<p>Hello photographers,<br>

I'm thinking of getting the Nikkor 17-55mm 2.8 lens, and would also like a B+W Kaesemann circular polariser for it. What I am wondering about is: is it necessary to get the slim Kaesemann, or would the regular one do?<br>

If I understand correctly, the slim version prevents vignetting on wide angle lenses; but I'm still wondering whether vignetting will occur at 17mm, if I use the regular version.<br>

For any given lens, what is the absolute minimum focal length at which the regular Kaesemann won't produce some vignetting?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>The 17-55/2.8 is only used on a DX camera. You have nothing to worry about a full-sized B+W Polarizer. In fact, I used one for years on a 17-35/2.8 and an F5. If you have concerns, stop the lens down, set it to 17mm and see how far the tip of your finger can intrude over the filter before you see it in the finder.</p>

<p>Get a full-sized polarizer (77 mm). Using a step-down adaptor or stacking filters is likely to cause vignetting.</p>

<p>Don't know if this will help you or not. I don't have the 17-55 DX lens, but I have that filter (77mm size). On my D200, with a Nikon 12-24 f/4 DX lens, shooting open sky, at the 12mm setting, in the very top corners of a frame, if I look for it, I can see a very small amount of the beginning of vignetting with that filter.</p>

<p>Zooming slightly off the 12mm end gets rid it. It's not noticeable to me otherwise. Since I really don't use a CP for extreme WA shots with lots of open sky, it's a non-issue for me. I don't think it would cause you any problems on a 17-55 DX zoom.</p>

<p>I personally don't much care for filters without front threads, because it's my habit to keep a lens cap on when not actually shooting. I have one filter with no front threads, and I find the slip-on cap to be troublesome. YMMV.</p>