Sharpness setting

simon_t1

I keep my 40D on "5"

two clicks above 'normal'

I can kick it up a bit PP if needed, but have never had any problems - noise, halo, etc

for a stunning sunset or spectacular flower I shoot raw and leave it all for PP.

My daily typical shooting is architectural and construction for which jpg serves fine.

Trial and error to find best combo for your specific shooting.

<p>Simon,</p>

<p>Shoot RAW and set the sharpening to whatever looks closest to the final look you’re

going after. RAW images aren’t sharpened. Some RAW converters (such as Canon’s)

will use whatever you set in the camera for the default starting point, but all will let you either do no

sharpening or go wild with sharpening, and do both on the original data at the moment of

capture.</p>

<p>The in-camera JPEG preview, which is what the camera displays on the LCD when you review

the picture, will have the sharpening applied, which is why it’s a good idea to set the

sharpening (and color, white balance, and the rest) to whatever will most closely simulate the final

results. It won’t limit you later, but it will make the previews more accurate.</p>

<p>Oh — and, in case it isn’t obvious, shoot JPEG when you want to use the picture

right out of the camera with minimal or no post-processing. Shoot RAW when you intend to do

anything significant in post. Shoot both (simultaneously) when you want to do the former but you’re afraid

you’ll need to do the latter.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some RAW converters (such as Canon’s) will use whatever you set in the camera for the default starting point</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, unless you convert in DPP (or RIT), it makes absolutely zero difference what in-camera settings are selected - <em>only </em> Canon software can read them. ACR, Lr, Cap One 4, Silypix, Raw Therapee etc... they couldn't care less about in-camera sharpening choices.</p>