I just purchased Photoshop CS4 and am looking for input on a really good beginer tutorial. I have been using

Lightroom for all of my "developing" and am very happy with it. I plan to keep using it for all of the basic stuff so I

don't a book that tells me how to do basic edits in photoshop. I want to use photoshop for all of the "artsy" creative

things. Anyone have any reccomendations?

<p>Artsy? Try deviantart.com. They mostly do Photoshop art, but they often start with photos, and they have lots of tutorials that teach even-photographers good things to know.<br>

Probably the technique I use most frequently is to add an adjustment layer to correct a specific local problem--dark shadows, burned highlights, color casts, lack of saturation. Clicking the eyecon turns the layer on and off, showing the original and the correction alternately. Clicking the blank icon for that layer on the right--the mask--lets me do the same thing with ctl-Backspace and alt-Backspace by filling that mask with black and white. While I've got that mask clicked, painting directly on my image window with a soft brush in black, white, or varying shades of gray will let me paint in the effect, paint it out, or paint it in varying degrees of transparency.<br>

Take a good look at all the adjustment layers Photoshop offers, and some lights should go on. Good way to paint in lots of different effects. You'll end up wishing you could do the same thing with filters, and indeed if you add smarts to your image, you can work Smart Filters on it in the same way. Not mere artsy, but methane-powered artsy--Andy Warhol will have nothing on you . . .</p>