phase one P45+ or hasselblad cfv-39

pavlos_fysakis

<p>Hello to all<br>

im using a 503 cw and now im thinking of turn it to digital by using a digital back,if anyone could help would be great!<br>

i allredy test the P45+ is very good but: it needs a wire from the back to lens , idont know how it is with the hasselblad d-40 flash.is it works with the OTF? Now i just heard about the new hasselblad cfv-39.i have the same question about the d-40 flash,and i would like to ask about the long exposure the cfv-39 goes up to 64 sec. but what about the quality? what about the out of focus areas?, i have the thought that the digital images have problem in quality in non focus spots,and compare this two d. backs i would like to hear opinions.<br>

if anyone knows , and feel like it HELP!<br>

pavlos.</p>

<p>I owned both--am now a CFV-39 user.<br>

Both systems have strengths:<br>

I find the P45+'s image quality on overexposed sky etc to be noticably superior to the CFV-39, as is the 1 hour exposure (vs 64s), ability to rotate 90 degrees and no moving parts.<br>

The CFV surprisingly has a markedly superior ISO 800 (when process with Phocus, so this is a software denoising step that Hasselblad is performing), much better integration (no cables!) with the V-series, square crop mode (full frame is still captured, but images come up pre-cropped in Phocus).<br>

I have used both in the studio, but they were manual, metered the shots with a handheld meter, so I can't tell you much about OTF capability.<br>

The biggest operational difference between the two is that cable. I had two sync cables fail on me over a period of 6 months, and that eroded my confidence. I found lens changes to be that much more inconvenient. In the end that was the deciding factor for me.<br>

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't be able to tell if the shot was taken with a CFV-39 or P45+ -- they're both superb. I would make a choice based on the differences outlined above.<br>

HTH...</p>

<p>The best way to synchronize the CFV-39 back is with a cable to the shutter contacts.</p>

<p>The CFV has two options with the 503CW (or any 500 body) - mechanical via the extension of the shutter release or electrical via the shutter PC contacts. The former relies on reliable timing for the sequence of events that occur when the shutter is released. The manner in which you push the shutter release appears to be a significant factor in this sequence - fast or slow - and how long you hold the release in after the shot.</p>

<p>I have incurred too many instances of odd colors, strips and other defects in the image when using the mechanical mode. The shutter sync works perfectly, unless you try to shoot too quickly (that's another story). You can use any shutter speed, up to 32 seconds, without reprogramming the back. Cables can fail, so I carry two Paramount spares in addition to the cable which came with the camera. In two years, I've not had a cable failure.</p>

<p>The 555ELD has electronic contacts between the body and back which provide synchronization. The 205TCC/FCC cameras do likewise for the focal plane shutter, following a $500 factory modification of the camera. The 205 needs a sync cable for use with the lens shutter. (You can opt to use the mechanical option, but the timing sequence of the camera is different and you get nothing in the image.</p>

<p>The CFV is limited to a maximum shutter time of 32 seconds. I believe the P45 is much longer, like 30 minutes.</p>

<p>OTF works with the CFV, but you have to compensate for the higher reflectivity of the sensor vs film - about 1 stop. I would guess that the P45 is similar.</p>

<p>edward & bradley,thank you very much you guys have been very helpful!<br>

i did not know that the cfv 39 needs a cable....<br>

did anyone out there knows about the long exposure photos ,differences in quality (i know about time differences 64s. cfv39 - 60m. p45+) ?<br>

pavlos</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hello Pavlos<br>

I have been using a P45+ back on both a Hasselblad 503CW and 501 body for mostly studio-based still-life type photography for over two years now. The first thing I want to say is just how much pleasure and satisfaction I get from still being able use my lovely old V-series equipment in a digital environment thanks to the Phase back. The blad lenses don't resolve quite as much detail as modern lenses such at the Phaseone/Mamiya AFD ones, which are incredibly sharp up to 100%. However, Hasselblad CFi/CFe lenses come very close and of course I prefer that classic Zeiss 'look'.<br>

If you like Hasselblads, I do not think the cable should be a deal-breaker for you. I actually <em>like</em> having a physical connection that I can see. It is just like every other aspect of the V-series experience - clunky and industrial, but you always know exactly what is going on. I do not get synchro errors as a result of the cable using CB and CFi lenses because the sync socket connection on the lens body is so incredibly rock solid. With older C-lenses - some of which perform remarkably well with digital - the conncection can be a bit loose, so if your lenses are C series, it might be a consideration.<br>

Using analogue lenses with a digital back you do get significant pink-green colour casts at the corners and edges of the image. There is an effective tool within the Capture 1 software that generates a correction profile which you apply to your captures. To make the profile, you first need to open up two stops and shoot through a 'lens correction tool' - sheet of perspex to you and me. You will need to do this at least once for each lens. I actually do it every session, so this file - which is needed to make the lens cast correction profile is archived with all the other RAWs in the capture session folder. If you are frequently changing lenses within a session, you may also need to find some way of indicating which lens you have used so you will know which correction profile is required. I do not know what approach is used in the Phocus software, but if like me, your work is colour critical, it is important that you find this out.<br>

Good luck!<br>

Stephen</p>

• 9 months later...