Mfr of Underwater Housing used by Mark Dimalanta on K7

david_stewart6

<p>I really enjoyed seeing some Mark Dimalanta's surf photography at the recent Pentax roadshow. Mark uses the K7 and K20D with the DA10-17mm fisheye lens inside a custom underwater housing. He did have a mention of the housing manufacturer, but I wasn't quick enough to write it down. Does anyone know who makes these? I'd like to figure out the cost on such a housing.</p>

<p>Best regards,<br>

David</p>

<p>Somanna,<br>

Good suggestion. I did try to reach him on his blog last month after I saw the roadshow, but he may have missed the comment. I'll check back with him. The availability of an underwater housing is a factor in my next dslr purchase and mark pointed out that the initial compactness of the K7 makes his housing size consderably smaller than those toting Canon 5D's in an underwater housing... alot easier to hold onto when waves are pushing you around.</p>

<p>Dave are you thinking housing for mostly surface or near surface work? Or are you thinking SCUBA diving as in 30 to 120' ? Unless his K7 housing is substantially different than the one used prior on his k10/k20 it is not good for diving. He does do some amazing work and gets incredible shots from his fisheye. If you need an SLR for diving for less than the cost of a custom housing, even most ikelite kits you can get an Oly 4/3 + lens with their ready to go housing for under $2K; that's the easiest way to get an SLR underwater. But I think when I update my SCUBA camera next year it will be a Canon G11 with their housing which should come out to about $800. If you're set on fisheye there is no "inexpensive" option to be had. I'd be very interested in hearing the details of his K7 housing and to what depth it's good for.</p>

<p>Roger,<br>

Thanks for the info on 4/3 and ready-to-go. My interest is at the water surface and just below surface while snorkeling. I am not a diver, but I do brave the cold water to surf in the pacific northwest and some of my buddies are quite accomplished at surfing so I aspire to capture some of their better moments. I do have a little 3meter water resistant point & shoot Olympus and I like it for freshwater excursions, but I don't trust it in salt water and there is nothing quite like a fisheye lens shooting from point blank range...<br>

PS- for those of you who do not surf, I nevertheless encourage you to check out "Surfers Journal" sometime. It has some really nice photography- of course- surfing photos, but also amazing portraits, coastlines and landscapes from around the globe. There is very little advertising and it is printed on quality stock.</p>

<p>David,<br>

Mark's housing is made by SPL Waterhousing in San Diego (http://www.splwaterhousings.com). I had a chance to visit their facility, as we provided SPL originally with a K10D body so they could build the first housing which Mark started to work with. SPL builds quality housings ideal for surfing and on water photography. I have not talked to the folks at SPL in several years, but depending how many controls (buttons) you want access to and the number of lens domes you'll need, I believe their housings start at around $1200-1400. Hope this helps.<br>

Regards,<br>

Ned Bunnell</p>

<p>Hi David!<br>

Thanks for the kind words, and for visiting the K7 viral tour. Ned, you beat me to the punch. My custom housing maker is Sean Labrie at SPL housings in San Diego California (www.splwaterhousings.com) At present he is making a K7 housing for me and for a few other Pentaxians worldwide. <br>

If anyone is interested in having a housing made get your order in with Sean. He presently has my K7, 10-17, DA 15, and DA 50-135 to make a compact shell with 3 different ports. He requires having a body present to fit the bushings and inserts to ensure a snug fit. Each Aluminum welded shell has slight tolerances with regard to overall dimensions, hence a body is required to make a perfect custom fit.<br>

Happy shooting, and be on the lookout for my latest project. I will post samples when I return from my trip.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>Glad to find out who the other person using this housing is. I am a photographer based in Tofino on Vancouver Island and just ordered the housing for the K-7. I was packing my camera up for the long trip down to San Diego when he told me that he was fortunate enough to already have a body for molding purposes, Thanks Mark. For the housing with the 10-17 port it came to $1699.00. Not bad for a custom made housing.</p>

<p>David,<br>

There's another option that may work for you, and that's the Ewa Marine housings - cheaper, differently versatile, different strengths/weaknesses, etc. It might be a good way to get started and then you could graduate to an SPL system if it meets your fancy...<br>

I've been very pleased with my Ewa Marine housing, using it in local/regional lakes down to 3-4 meters, and will be taking it to the Carribbean for a project this winter...<br>

Good luck,</p>

<p>Tim!</p>

<p>hi todd, <br>

Glad to have helped in the making of your housing. I believe Sean was able to mill out several copies for international distribution. There was a chap from Japan and one from Australia all putting in their orders while my equipment was there.<br>

I stayed with SPL because they have been dedicated to providing pentax users with custom made housings. Sean is extremely flexible in providing for all of your needs. <br>

Our original mock up was extremely small, perfect for lightweight use, but I lost the functionality of my custom flash housing for the 540 FGZ. so in essence, Sean redesigned the compact housing to allow for the Pentax hot shoe adaptor F.<br>

It added additional functionality and only a marginal gain in size and weight, but it allows me to use my flash housing for night photography. You can add flash support later by getting the custom housing at a later date. <br>

Be sure to link some shots when you get em.<br>

MD</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>Hey - it´s a really old thread but now I saw your (Mark´s) pics on the redesigned PENTAX-gallery.<br>

What is the depth-rating for the SPL-housing ? I´m doing UW-photography with my old *ist DL2 and I´m using a self-adapted UW-housing with a rating of +40m. As far as I´ve seen you´re using your camera in shallow waters only</p>

<p>Greets Frank</p>