Wedding Photo Equipment

james_hester

David, thanks for the welcome. I forgot to mention that I do have a 28-135 kit lens. I plan to get a wider and faster one, but this is what I have to start with. Hopefully that will work. I also have backup gear, but it's a different digital camera system, with some of the same lenses listed. Actually two different backup camera bodies as a safeguard. Thanks for the site and I will read up on that equipment listed on the site.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon 40D<br />Canon 50mm 1.8<br />Canon 85mm 1.8<br />Sigma 70-200 2.8<br />Vivitar 285HV flash</p>

</blockquote>

<p>James,</p>

<p>I note two glaring omissions. First, I don't see anything wide in there. It's going to be hard to take shots in a cramped dressing room if you can't go wider than 50mm on a 40D.</p>

<p>Second, I notice that you mention just 1 camera body and just 1 flash. No can do, unless you really like to take risks. I think you must have a backup body that is fully capable of doing the job, if your other camera fails. And you need backup flash, too. I've had two flash units fail on me, at least one lens, and I'm about to send a camera body to the manufacturer for a shutter curtain problem. All of these pieces of equipment are top notch, not cheap bad quality stuff. But stuff breaks. And almost invariably, the failures occur while you're working.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>David, I didn't want to list all the equipment because I simply wanted to know if this was good equipment for photographing a wedding. I used to photograph weddings with film SLRs and have started with digital. I didn't want to get into a elongated discussion about all the equipment I needed to take (I knew that already). I just wanted to know if this Canon equipment would suffice.<br>

I've photographed numerous weddings. I'm not new to wedding photography, I'm simpy new to Canon Equipment and just wanted to get some experted opinions on if this would suffice. <br>

Any help is appreciated, don't get me wrong. I welcome all comments. I just wanted to explain why I didn't list "all that equipment". Perhaps I should have rephrased the initial question. At any rate, keep the opinions coming, PLEASE.</p>

<p>No.<br>

Please don't burn up your expensive camera with an old flash... The last issue of Shutterbug refers to the "HV" in "Vivitar 285HV" as meaning "High Voltage." Canon circuits are officially rated around 6v, which is definitely not high voltage.</p>

<p>As mentioned, you need a wide. At least bring a film body for the 50mm if you can't invest in or rent a wide.<br>

What backup equipment do you have?</p>

<p>The gear you listed above will be fine for weddings. As noted, you will need to use the 28-135mm for the wide shots, which is also fine, but you will probably want to get a faster wide sometime soon.</p>

<p>As for the flash, the 40D is supposed to have a sync voltage limit of 250 volts. There is disagreement whether this covers both the hotshoe and the PC port, but in any case, many 285s have small enough sync voltages that it should not be a problem. To be sure, check it or use a voltage regulator (Safe Sync). The 283s are the ones to look out for. Some of the older ones have sync voltages higher than 250 volts. The flash itself will be fine for wedding photography, although you may miss having a flash that is more integrated with the camera--no HSS, second curtain, and more important in my mind--the ability to ramp the flash down enough to use the higher ISOs and wider f stops. You are limited in auto ISOs with the 285. Now, I personally prefer auto thyristor flash metering and don't have a lot of use for HSS or second curtain, but the ability to ramp the flash down for high ISO is a good ability to have.</p>

<p>Thanks guys:<br>

I am currently using a Safe Sync with the Vivitar 285HV, and it's worked fine so far. Initially I wasn't using the safe sync, still worked fine on the camera, but as I read posts, I decided why chance it, just get a Safe Sync and use it, just to be sure. Now I use it all the time when using the 285HV. This camera is too expensive (for me) to take a chance.<br>

Backup Equipment:<br>

Minolta 7D and 5D with Minolta flash units and lenses. They were the primary wedding system before I bought the 40D. They are still excellent to use, though many people don't like Minolta, I still like them. I still use them for portraits and they work great. I get excellent quality out of them.<br>

I read a post once that said "a camera is only as good as the photographer behind it." I believe this. I also believe that good equipment doesn't hurt. So I'm shooting what I can with what I have until I can purchase better equipment. I know this is the only way I'll be able to afford "better equipment".<br>

I'd love to have a Canon 300mm F4 L lens (not for weddings) but for sports outside. I've read some excellent reviews. A Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L would be nice as well (IS or non-IS). But I have to keep shooting and getting paid before I can purchase these. As noted earlier, a nice 2.8 wide lens is in the "dream cast" as well. </p>

<p>Just found a tech note that supports Nadine and corrects my post of Canon's voltage limit being 6v.<br>

<a href="../equipment/canon/20D">http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/20D/</a></p>

<p>I quote Bob Atikins:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...by using a semiconductor switch rather than a mechanical contact, the flash trigger voltage limit has been raised from around 6v on the 10D (and most other consumer EOS bodies) to 250v (as found on most of the EOS pro bodies) [on the 20D]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I retract my flash incompatibility statement :)</p>

<p><strong><em>"I simply wanted to know if this was good equipment for photographing a wedding. I used to photograph weddings with film SLRs and have started with digital. . . I just wanted to know if this Canon equipment would suffice. . .I've photographed numerous weddings. . . . I'm simply new to Canon Equipment and just wanted to get some expert opinions . . . if this [equipment] would suffice."</em></strong></p>

<p>No, the equipment listed is not sufficient.</p>

<p>You are short of a normal and / or normal to wide lens at speed. In this case the 28 to 135 Kit lens will not be sufficient.</p>

<p>Noted this comment <em>"28-135 kit lens (for now) and plan to get another faster one" </em></p>

<p>I assume the "faster one" might be the EF24 to 70F/2.8L or the EF-S 17 to 55F/2.8 IS. In either case I will then still argue that you will be short of a normal / normal to wide and fast lens.</p>

<p>F/1.4 (or F/1.8) buys you an hellavlotmore Tv than F/2.8 (and at present F/3.5) in a NO FLASH RULE situation - especially at the wider FL's - yes I know the 40D is OK at ISO1600, if necessary - but you just never know how dark the SMALL Chapel might be or what rules the Celebrant has for the Civil Service INSIDE the Family’s Home on a DARK and RAINY day . . . just as two examples.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Please don't burn up your expensive camera with an old flash... The last issue of Shutterbug refers to the "HV" in "Vivitar 285HV" as meaning "High Voltage." Canon circuits are officially rated around 6v, which is definitely not high voltage."<br>

Robert, I think there's some confusion here concerning Vivitar's 285HV. The name does not mean it is a high-voltage unit (and will thus fry a digital camera). Instead, it is the model that is specifically made for low-voltage modern cameras. Kind of a strange name on Vivitar's part...<br>

Scott</p>

James, you are indeed missing a true wide angle, especially on a crop sensor dSLR. I have a 400D (same field of view as 40D) and even with my 17-40 mounted on it, it is sometimes not wide enough at 17m when shooting in a confined space. My 50 f/1.8 is great for portraits and no-flash situations (rare here, so I 'create' some for myself, to push my learning curve:)) but again too long for a main lens on the 400D (or 40D in your case). I have also used my 28-105 and 24-105 on this camera and neither are wide enough in a small space or for larger groups.

<p>I would thus recommend you add at least either the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

<p>I stand corrected - twice - on the flash. I'll be digging a little deeper before I post from now on :)<br /> <a href="http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/02/return-of-classic.html">Strobist post on the Vivitar</a> <br /> <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Auto_Flash.html#features">B&H Features list indicates it <em>ACCEPTS </em> high voltage external supply</a> <br /> Mark, Manuel - I personally didn't like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I found it didn't compare well against the Canon 17-40 f/4L or even the Tokina 12-24 f/4... Slow AF and IQ didn't really do a lot for me. Maybe y'all have had a different experience?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I do have a 28-135 kit lens (for now)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you know that on a crop-sensor camera, like the one you have, 28mm = 45mm? (You need to multiply the fl by 1.6 to give you the effective focal length) Is this really wide enough for you? Plus, its widest aperture would be 3.5? (I don't know as I shoot Nikon) 45/3.5 is a very slow lens for wedding ... unless you plan to use it outdoors ...</p>

<p>Simple answer to the question James is yes the equipment is good enough. But I would echo the caution to get a wider lens, say a 17-50 Tamron, which would be very versatile, or a prime like a Sigma 14mm f2.8. Also, if you have a backup system, thats good, but don't forget a backup flash. Weddings as you know are fast moving things once the photography gets going so two bodies with say wide to medium tele and longer lens on another body would be the way to go</p>

<p>I hate to say this but I would not use the 28-135 kit lens. The lens is very soft to me and I have tried 3 of them. Plus it's not wide enough. If I had ONE lens to shoot a wedding on my crop body, it would be 17-55 2.8 IS. I would also use your HV flash OFF camera with low budget triggers. Better yet, RENT a 580 flash and you will get much better flash results. I think to give your Canon equipment a chance to excel for you, you should consider renting both, 17-55 lens and 580 flash. Good luck/ V/R Buffdr</p>

<p>The 40D is fine for wedding work. I'd grab a 430EXII flash (or two), and a second body.....another 40D body is fine. I use two for wedding work myself, along with a 10D and Pentax K20D. My 7D arrives this week to replace 1 of the 40D bodies.</p>

<p>My main lenses for the Canon gear are a Canon 85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 17-85, and Canon 55-250. You can worry about L glass this and that....but in all honesty, with handheld work like wedding jobs, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference....and for the most part, your clients never will.<br>

They care more about the final image. So, get yourself a wider lens like the ultrasharp Tamron 17-50 and a 10-20, a second body, backup flash, and you're set. </p>

<p>Love my 40D and have similar gear, plus the Canon 20-35mm and 28-70L f/2.8. But after borrowing a friends 5D to shoot a couple of weddings, the 40D was very hard to go back to. Currently trying to negotiate with my friend to buy her 5D and have her upgrade to the 5d Mark II...although now I am quite intrigued by the new 7D coming out.... What to do???</p>