Over-the-shoulder camera bag recommendations for weddings

scrivyscriv

<p>What do y'all use?<br>

I have a small Tamrac bag that holds my stuff, but without dividers. I travel to the jobsite with my equipment in a Pelican case and once I get there I need to hold:<br>

a semi-pro body with grip,<br>

an 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom with hood (reversed or not),<br>

a 50mm f/1.4 - f/1.8 prime with or without hood,<br>

an 85mm f/1.8 prime with hood (again, reversed or not),and<br>

room for a mid- to large-sized flash, but that can be on an outside pocket or flap.<br>

I need it to have padded dividers, let my equipment be simple to reach, and easy to secure on-the-go. I started looking at Lowepro and am impressed by the build quality and design, but don't have a feel for actual size researching them online.</p>

<p>I'm looking for the style of bag that will *comfortably* go over my shoulder for use during pretty much all the events of the day.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>- Robert</p>

<p>Sounds like a Think Tank Speed Racer, to me. <strong><a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00TttE">This thread</a></strong> has some shots of one, including the gear that's kept in it. You can also use it as a waist rig, which is nice, and pick from their many great modular widgets when you need extra lens changing bags and whatnot. I use that bag and really like it.</p>

<p>Hi all.<br>

I use the Domke FX-3 as my main bag. It is a great bag that moulds itself well to your body as you work as well as offering just enough room to get the job done. Its not big and "boxy" as other bags and works well in a crowd. My day job is a photojournalist for a daily paper and I use it there for the day to day work.<br>

One word of advice...get the ballistic material version rather then the all canvas. The canvas model will last one to two years while the ballistic version will last forever. <br>

Don't buy this bag at a camera store as they really hike the prices up on them. Not sure why but i gather the fact that alot of pro's use them the stores see this as a money grab for amateurs. <br>

Inside the bag i carry one extra lens, flash, cards extra battery and bits and bods. <br>

Go buy it...it rocks!<br>

cheers<br>

andre</p>

<p>I arrive with all my gear in a Peli 1510 case. I then sling a 5D with 28-75mm F2.8 or 24-105mm F4 lens over my shoulder with the camera hanging by my rear end (strap lies across my chest and over my shoulder). 580ex flash fitted to 5D. I usually also have a small DSLR hanging around my neck with a fast prime lens. This setup allows me to capture shots quickly without having to dig into a backpack, which IMO may look a little unprofessional (walking around with a backpack...., just my opinion and certainly my current way of working. The Peli case is always within easy access in case I need to swap lenses or grab a flash modifier, gels, batteries, etc</p>

<p>I've used Domke bags for years, primarily the F-2. I like the canvas and use the black most often because it looks rather inconspicous for a camera bag. The beige bag is great for Death Valley or when the black would get too hot (not usually a problem in No. California). I like the bag because it is big enough, has a lot of pockets of good size, the cotton is soft and the strap doesn't slip. I also like the fact that I can leave the snaps for the top open so I can get assess, but it's got velcro on the top to keep it secure, makes for fast work in the field and perfect security when you need it. A lot of clever things about Domke. It also lasts a very long time and doesn't cost much.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the quick answers!<br>

Jim how <em>big</em> is the Domke F1? It looks like a friggin' monster! :)<br>

Matt - you must have had a bored day to shoot your camera eqpt in the studio, Lol... That's the kind of product shooting I would like to see the manufacturers put out. Useful stuff. Thanks for spending your time putting that together.</p>

<p>That's my current setup, David. I need to keep my equipment closer to me than just in a case 'over yonder... I'm thinking specifically of the Catholic wedding I shot earlier this year and how awkward it was to stay in one place and dig through my Pelican case for stuff.<br>

Nadine, Matt - thanks for the links, I just had a hard time digging up useful threads. Those are extremely helpful.<br>

<br /> Oh and off the topic for a second, Nadine I notice you mention that you don't use a tele zoom. Curious, why not? What's your alternative?</p>

<p>Robert--I use tele primes--85mm, 135mm, plus I have a 1.4x extender. I use those on my 5D full frame, and also on my 40D cropped sensor camera, on which my 50mm is a tele. With this system I can get up to 300mm. I don't like the weight and size of the 70-200mm f2.8, and even so, it isn't wide enough for my liking.</p>

<p>I also just re-read what I wrote in the thread I linked, and it doesn't cover actual bag info. So here goes.</p>

<p>I use a Lowepro Stealth 100. Quite small by any standards, and shallow, but I chose the bag with those characteristics for definite reasons. First, I change stuff around, so I hang different pouches off the bag depending upon what I am bringing. On the Stealth line, there are lots of straps to hang pouches from. Second, I like the bag to be shallow so that I don't have to stack lenses and don't have to dig around when I want something. I also like the bag to be able to sit on the ground without slumping. Ideally, I can swap lenses without having to put the bag down, but many times, I do put the bag down on the ground and then work from it. Some of the bags, like the Shootsac, can't stand upright.</p>

<p>Since I don't use long zooms, I don't need a deep bag. I put 3 lenses in the bag interior, and other accessories in pouches that are hung from each end. I also have a mini light stick I slip into the straps on the back of the bag. The bag is still heavy but not so heavy that I can't keep it on my shoulder for a large part of the day (security concerns).</p>

<p>If you are going to bring everything in a Pelican case and work from that, you could very well use a lighter, lens only bag such as the Shootsac.</p>

<p>Actually several of the bags suggested are exactly what I'm looking for - I've checked out the shootsac and didn't feel it really meets my needs. The Stealth 100 looks about the right size - maybe a tad small for my work - but I like it a lot.<br>

I have never considered using TC's at weddings, but that's an incredible idea. Thanks for the advice and info!</p>

<p><a href="http://www.f64camerabag.com/systems.html">http://www.f64camerabag.com/systems.html</a><br>

It might fit the bill, I have an old one from the 90's that I can't kill. The stap is reversible for either sholder, the end pouches come off. The thing I like it the center flap opens away from you, you don't have to take it off your shoulder to open it and the flap makes for a makeshift shelf, while your swithing lens.<br>

I keep the camera on a bracket in one hand or to my tripod. But I can fit a D2x body in it, with a 50,85, 24 and two extra flashes. In the front pouch goes all the extra batteries, and in the other end pouch you can stand up two SB-800 flashes. I don't have the 80-200 but I put my 180 in and there is still 3 inches left.<br>

I personally keep the 180 and all the extras, in a roller case.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>