D30 (yes, not the 30D) "sticky" mirror

russell_sit

Hi,<br /> <br /> please tell me what is wrong with my old Canon D30.<br /> <br /> I find that when I press the shutter release, the mirror just flips up and stay there and would not come down until I press the shutter again. A correct exposure is made with the second press. The same problem occurs with the button on the battery grip. The focus and meter reading are both correct otherwise. I have checked the mirror box, and found no sticky stuff at all. <br /> <br /> I know it is a very old camera, but please don't tell me to throw it away. <br /> <br /> Thanks in advance for your help!<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Russell

<p>Dave's suggestion sounds correct. </p>

<p>I also had an issue with my D30 in that the chassis of the camera isn't quite like modern ones and has a bit of flex to it. I put a Wimberley universal QR plate on the camera and started getting Error 99. The plate screwed into the tripod mount was flexing the mirror box just enough to upset the camera. Removing the plate solved that problem. </p>

<p>Did a little looking on google and it appears the D30 does have a "Mirror Lockup" custom function. So follow Dave Ts advice and read your manual and just be sure it isnt switched on. Unfortunately (If what I am reading is correct) it apparently isnt a true mirror lockup function but just activates the self timer function for 2 secs rather than 10 and exposes the image accordingly. This would suggest that having to press the shutter a second time to release it would mean its not simply a mirror lock up problem. Could someone familiar with the D30 shed any light on this.?</p>

<p>Heres a list of CFs on D30<br>

your looking for CF 3</p>

<p><strong>Custom functions for the Canon EOS D30:</strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>1: Noise Reduction for Long Exposure<br /> 2: AF Start/AE Lock<br /> 3: Mirror Lockup<br /> 4: Settings for Tv<br /> Av and Exposure Compensation Level<br /> 5: AF-Assist Light<br /> 6: Shutter Speed Control in Av Mode with flash<br /> 7: AEB Shooting Sequence and Cancellation<br /> 8: Shutter Curtain Flash Sync<br /> 9: Lens AF Stop Button Function<br /> 10: Automatic Fill-flash Reduction for Daylight Sync Flash Exposure<br /> 11: MENU Button Return Position<br /> 12: SET Button Function when Shooting<br /> 13: Sensor Cleaning.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Problem solved!<br>

Indeed it is the mirror lock up function being enabled. I did not believe this when I did my search, as the camera was working normally a month ago, and since then no one has touched it. Cannot explain the mysterious enabling of the function though.<br>

Thanks a lot for the kind help of Dave, Isaac and Gary! The D30 is still a great camera IMHO, and it is great to know that it is still alive and kicking.</p>

<p>Russell</p>